Thursday, June 18, 2020

Surprise-surprise-surprise!

As if self-quarantine wasn't bad enough, I broke my ankle (twisted it and fell taking a walk last Friday.) I'm out of commission wearing a heavy plastic boot for 6-8 MORE weeks. My mobility is compromised which gives me a deep appreciation for anyone who is physically handicapped or challenged.

On Sunday, I was outside on the patio with my leg elevated, when I heard a car pull in behind
ours. I saw this bouquet of flowers coming toward me, and then I saw my great grandson Liam.
He had been shopping with his mama. When they passed the floral display he mentioned,
"Blue is Nana's favorite color."

You can bet I grabbed my face shield, and then I grabbed my little buddy. He said with SO much emotion, "This is the first time we've MET... (long pause as he calculated the months) in three months!" That was the longest sweetest hug ever! I took off my boot and showed him my boo-boo. He said, "Yeah, Nana! Yeah it IS broken. Look how black and blue and big it is."

                                                                      Yep, it is broken.


I feel like a failed contortionist. It takes me forever to maneuver on a cane or walker. I decide to sit on the couch and elevate my ankle with an ice pack. I tie three throw pillows to the walker, tie my ice pack around my ankle, lift my leg to the pillow... and my ice pack slides. Straighten that... and my pillows slip. Finally get organized, scoot too far back or forward... and have to lift my body weight with one leg elevated. Exhausted, I lie back ready to relax... and realize I have to pee.

                                                               The birthday boy!
Yesterday I decided to  break quarantine. It was Liam's sixth birthday and so we had a picnic  outdoors for him and his family. He played with water balloons, bubbles, squirt guns, and toys in the wading pool.

Liam looks like a meany in the next photo, but he was trying desperately to shoot a bubble at the camera. He is actually very kind, caring, and sweet.

I usually make sheet cakes for all family birthdays. He saw a plate-size muffin decorated with sprinkles and candles and said, "Nana! Why did you make me a small birthday cake? I mean, Nana, THANK YOU for making me that small birthday cake."

I had to squeeze him... and Alex and Charlie, my great grandsons. We've certainly missed one another.



If you are a writer, remember to show not tell.
A dozen writers would describe what is going on in this photo in a dozen ways. 

Truth be told, Liam was merely frustrated and the other two, who look happy-go-lucky, each had big surprises in their diapers. I might look like I'm smiling, but I was holding my breath. 

If a picture tells a story... tell yours with flair, surprise, intrigue. 

Now for MY surprise. I received an acceptance from Guideposts. I've finally broken in.
Do you have any news to share with me?

10 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--Was that the piece we read? Congratulations. Now you'll make yourself known as one of their "dependable" writers, and will get published in there on a regular basis.

That picture--with Charlie and his droopy swim trunks--is priceless.

DUTA said...

Congrats on the acceptance from Guideposts!
Happy belated Birthday to sweet Liam!
Get well soon!

Val said...

Congrats on the Guidepost acceptance, and the reunion with your boys! Sorry to hear about your ankle. Your good leg might look like Popeye's forearm when it's time for the boot to come off the injured ankle!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have broken my foot FOUR times in the same place. Just by walking. I am talented like that that. The tendon was stretched and actually tore a chunk of bone. Crutches suck! I used my son's skateboard a lot. I could sit on it and use my good foot to push and pull myself around. It was also good to transport my lunch to the coffee table to sit on the floor and eat when I was alone. I didn't even go to the ER the last three times I broke it. I have crutches and ice and you are going to elevate to keep the pain down anyway. Give it lots o time and TLC to heal. Congrats on your acceptance, you go, girl! Glad you got some sweet hugs to tide you over!

Pat Wahler said...

It's frustrating when you can't do all the things you're used to doing. Hope your ankle heels soon, Linda.

Congratulations on the Guideposts acceptance. That is so cool!

Pat Wahler said...

*Hope you ankle HEALS soon! LOL

Connie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I hope your ankle heals quickly. It's no fun being out of commission. Happy birthday to Liam. These are such sweet pictures of him and of his brothers.

Shilpa said...

Get well soon and stay safe

Susan said...

I am SO SORRY you broke your ankle. It must be sooo painful. Here's hoping you will have a speedy recover. Susan

Sweet Sweet Planet said...

Thanks forr writing