Saturday, November 28, 2020

A flower from heaven


In late summer and through fall, these flowers (sedum) are pale pinkish purple and attract insects.


Since last week the flowers wilted and shriveled on the stems.
On November 19th, a day or two before the 20th anniversary of my friend Rose's death, I discovered this growing right up out of the center of the plant. Not so unusual you say? 
Read on.
Before my best friend Rose died of lung cancer, we made a pact that if there was an afterlife she would send me a flower in winter. I have received an unexpected blossom/flower, different varieties and colors ever since the first anniversary.  

I wrote a story, titled The Golden Girls, which was published in Chicken Soup for the Gardener's Soul about the very first flower I received. 

 I am never surprised, forever grateful, and always in awe. No we havent had a hard freeze, but we are on the cusp, so I can't declare it to be winter, but definitely the growing season is finished for these flowers. 

Another year without my friend, another gift from her from beyond.

 

5 comments:

DUTA said...

Very touching story! Friendship and flowers, both in life and in after life play an unforgettable crucial role.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--You've shared many stories about your friend Rose over the years. It's obvious she is sending you a message, every year.

Friendships blossom in our hearts... and later, they blossom in other ways.

Val said...

A loyal friend, even now, following through with her promise. So fitting for her to send a flower, with a name like "Rose."

Pat Wahler said...

I remember that story, and it gave me chills the first time I read it.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a lovely story, and it's wonderful that a flower bloomed right in the winter and you thought of your dear friend, Rose. What a beautiful name.

It's Christmastime! Enjoy the season, Linda.

~Sheri