Wednesday, December 9, 2020

From five cents to five bucks

Did you ever lose something and instead of feeling upset, it made you really happy? And then you lost a second one and it doubled your happiness?

It's pretty big stuff when you're six years old and you lose your first baby tooth. Liam was ecstatic when his right front tooth fell out at school last week. They sent it home in a little plastic container shaped like a tooth. 

The tooth fairy left him five bucks. If I recall, she left me five cents! But you know, inflation and all.  

Yesterday the second tooth fell out as he was riding the bus to school. Luckily he was wearing his mask. His mom came home after work, and he stood in front of her with his mouth closed. He kept staring at her.  Ashley said, "What's wrong?" Then he smiled.

All he wants for Christmas is his two front teeth. 

I remember when those teeth came in. He was almost a year old and still toothless. The teething toys didn't do a thing, so I bought a big fat carrot for him to gnaw on. When he tired of it, I dipped the tip in syrup so he would chew some more. After a few days, his first tooth erupted and then the second. 

We were so excited when those teeth came in, and now he's excited that they are coming out. 

Times they are a changing. I will be so happy when I can squeeze him and his brothers again.


Sunday night at 8:00 p.m. we saw their mama's car pull into our driveway. Bill and I ran outside in our robes to the delighed squeals and shouts of "Nana! PawPaw!" and Charlie screamimg, "Hi Nanny!" He refuses ot call me Nana anymore. He is distinguishing "nanas are yellow and yummy" I am Nanny now for him.

The joy those little faces and voices brought us was immense. There parents were taking them to view holiday lights and dropped by to surprise us. I ran back inside to get cookies for them. They were in their jammies, each with his own blanket and bag of snacks. We so wanted to hug each one, but made do with rubbing their hair and telling them how much we loved them. 

As they waved good-bye, we turned to go inside, then I turned around and darted after the car in my robe. I raced their car up the driveway and out to the street, to the sounds of their hysterical laughter.

It truly is the little things in life that matter. 



6 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

I'm saving up lots of hugs and kisses for bestowing (I hope) in 2021!

Kathy G said...

What a delightful surprise!

Val said...

I am happy for Liam's loss! And snickering at the thought of you chasing the car in your robe!

DUTA said...

The trio of boys is adorable!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--You are making memories with those boys, just like the memories you and YOUR grandmother made.

At Thanksgiving--with just my husband and me--I discovered that small and different can still be special...

Red Rose Alley said...

That's such a cute story. I bet you just wanted to hug your little guys that very moment. And you made them laugh, which probably made their night. So happy for Liam getting five dollars when his teeth fell out. He looks so happy in this picture. Yes, it's the little things. And you sound like a dear grandmother.

~Sheri