Monday, July 11, 2022

This moment will never come again

I babysit my three great-grandsons three times a week. It has become a battle to get the middle one, almost five-years-old to nap. Charlie, the little guy, wears himself out and yells if his sleep is interrupted.

 "ALEX, leave me alone!" 

Alex retracts his arm from the pillow that separates them and stops poking him for a while. It is a battle royal some days. But on this day I felt so blessed. Big brother Liam, had stitches in his hand and was bored with nothing to do. 

When he came into the bedroom where I was refereeing, I motioned for him to lie down. Then I went from one to the other, tickling arms, rubbing foreheads, soothing my sweeties to sleep. Note that each has his own favorite blankie and stuffy. Liam has had this pig since he was a baby. Sometimes, an eight year old with a boo-boo needs a lovey too.  CLICK ON PHOTO

This image, captured on film, is ingrained in my mind. What a blessed moment. One I doubt will ever happen again. I stood at the end of the bed and prayed for each of them and thanked God for these three independent, smart and healthy little wise guys. 



 

7 comments:

DUTA said...

You sound very happy with babysitting your three great grandsons. It gives you the unique chance to witness great moments of their growing up, and this is priceless.

Sioux Roslawski said...

You are lucky to have those 3 boys in your life, and they're lucky to have you and Bill in their lives.

Kathy G said...

What a beautiful story.

Eileen in Fla. said...

Ahhhhh. . . peace in the land of nod.

Pat Wahler said...

Soooo sweet! :-)

Val said...

Good for you, capturing such a rare moment! I need a nap, just thinking about how you manage to keep up with those kiddos so full of energy.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a blessed moment, indeed. Being there for our children when they are napping is very special. And I was so fortunate to be right there with my little ones when they were napping each and every day of their lives. It's something I will cherish forever. I hope Liam's hand is healing and he is feeling better. The photo is precious - getting three brothers to nap at the same time would be hard to do some days I imagine. You are doing a fine job taking care of them. A loving great-grandma you are. : )

~Sheri