Monday, January 2, 2023

Overdue at sorting through

On New Years Day I usually take down the tree. Instead, I cleaned out kitchen cabinets and packed up odds and ends: glasses, old mugs, and lidless, spaghetti sauce-stained plastic storage containers. Headed for a recycle bin or donation box.

We purchased oblong-shaped, glass, freezer-to-oven, kitchen storage containers with locking lids. Not a big deal really, but it really made me feel good to know the crap in my life will no longer tumble out when I open a cupboard.  

Today I tackle the tree. I will miss being silhouetted only by colorful Christmas tree lights as I sit in the livingroom before dawn meditating, praying, expressing gratitude.

I decided to get lit in other ways. Instead of exposing myself to glaring television light, local news crime statistics, and muting the TV fundraising appeals for abused and neglected dogs and suffering people, I decided to flick the switch. No noise no images. 

Just a growing stack of magazines: AARP, Writer's Digest, AAA Explorer... with interesting covers and enticing headlines.

I flipped through Writer's Digest. As a freelance writer for 25 years, I often think I already know this or that, so I skim or skip articles. What caught my eye this time was not the headline, but the opener by Estelle Erasmus: "This is my last "All About the Pitch" column."

What would the author have to impart as her final tips?  Nothing I didn't already know about pitching.

I did find a nugget. The interview subject was the editor-at-large of a privately-owned publication, whose mission is to publish relationship stories. 

BINGO! I have a piece I've been trying to home for two years. Spurred on by my critique partners, but discouraged by a lack of places to publish this genre, I shoved my essay into a junk basket. Another stray piece in another of my collections.

 I'm going to polish my article today and see if my pitch pans out. Then I am going to tackle my kitchen pots and pans and see what I can cook up to freeze in my new storage containers. 

How about you? What are you storing? Do you have orphans in electronic files or hand-held folders you haven't visited in a while? Is there a new topic you might like to tackle? Don't collect wanna bes or might have beens. Get in there and sort through your possibilities. 

Thank you to my readers from around the world. Wishing all a healthy, happy, blessed, and prosperous new year.  

4 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

May 2023 be kind and gentle to us all.

Kathy G said...

I have an ever-growing list of draft blog posts that I should either complete and publish or delete.

Susan said...

Good for you, cleaning out the kitchen cabinets, Linda. I had to chuckle about the spaghetti-stained plastic containers. I hate those, too. ha haha I still have a small tree to take down and will do it soon. Happy New Year, Linda.

Red Rose Alley said...

It's nice to give away things that you no longer need or want. It's a good feeling, especially when people could use these very same items. You've done a lot since the new year. I know what you mean about the Christmas tree....just gazing at it, thinking, praying....it's so peaceful, isn't it? It sounds like you are off to a good start in the new year, Linda.

~Sheri