Granddaughter Ashley and her husband Justin
packed the car and loaded the boys Liam, 12; Alex, 9; Charlie, 8 into the back seat and off they went for a weekend of camping.
What a wonderful family experience. I am so grateful the boys get to explore and enjoy these outings in nature. They each have small kayaks, and it appears they have also rented a canoe for this trip.
I asked if they had fun. Ashley replied, "Yes, until the inflatable mattress deflated at 2:00 a.m. So we headed for the car to sleep. Hit the river after breakfast. Stopped on a sandbar at lunch. Couldn't eat the water logged sandwiches. The snacks were okay. On the river all day."
"Charlie knows how to steer the kayak. His first time and he did so well. We packed up in the evening, stopped at McDonald's, and the exhausted boys passed out in the car. We had so much fun! Especially Liam."
Now that is a positive attitude. A fine day spent on an Missouri Ozarks waterway, and exploring caves, inlets, riverbanks. These are the times they will fondly remember.
Charlie is a Cub Scout and is so excited. Liam joined a school video gaming club and he also plays trombone. Alex is still deciding what direction he wants to go. I am grateful for our healthy, happy great grandson explorers.
3 comments:
What a fun adventure they had in nature. I think it's important that we spend time visiting nature now and then. And McDonald's afterwards - that's a great way to end the day. The water looks so clear in this picture. The caves sound neat too. I'm glad they had a great time.
I'm sure they had a blast. When I was a kid, we went camping at the state parks. My dad put a board across the bed of his pickup truck, with a mattress. We all slept under the camper shell. My sister and I got the "bed," and Mom and Dad slept on air mattresses, lengthwise under it. Meals were cooked on a Coleman stove. No canoeing for us. Just wading and swimming and fishing.
What a fun-sounding adventure. Your granddaughter sounds like she can find the positive in anything.
Post a Comment