Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Writing on the road to publication

It has been a busy day. I took my students on a field trip to the Dental Health Museum where they learned about good dental health and were able to view a GIANT-sized set of "lowers". There are only two sets of these three foot tall fiberglass teeth in the world. They're inset on a large pink carpet (the tongue). The dental health lady played games and lit up individual teeth and explained their functions. Her friend, Youcan, an animated twenty-four inches tall toucan sat on his perch and interacted with the children. Then, they watched a dental health video about a baby dinsoaur hiding a sucker in her bed and her brother getting tangled up in dental floss. That got lots of laughs. Everyone received a sparkly zippered, pencil packet containing a pencil, a toothbrush, sandttimer, floss toothpaste etc. In a few days they will be posting a video on Facebook of my students singing a song. You need to LIKE Dental Health Theatre. It's not up yet, though.

It was a beautiful sunny, sixty degree day. We had our snack outdoors. We were very blessed.

This evening I have been preparing for tomorrow's presentation, a panel discussion from 7-8 p.m. at Border's in Brentwood titled, On The Road to Publication. Believe me, my road was paved with some embarrassing moments, which I will share with those in attendance. I will also talk about huge mistakes that editors have made too. And I have proof.

I am going to talk about being a HOT writer. HOT is an acronymn for three core skills that good writers possess. Want to take a chance? What do you think that the H, O, and T stand for? Aw come on, take a guess.

16 comments:

BECKY said...

I have no idea! I've never heard of that before...but here's my wild guess. Hardworking, Optimistic and Talented!

Anonymous said...

OK, I had a GREAT answer, and then Blogger wouldn't accept my Wordpress login (again)and deleted the whole thing. ARGH! Well, OK, it wasn't that great. I had guessed one the same as Becky (talented), and my other one was O for observant, and I couldn't think of anything for H! But now that I see Becky's comment, I can just copy her idea and go with hardworking. Maybe Blogger was doing me a favor by wiping out my original comment. :)

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Histrionic, Obtuse, Threatening - no wait, that's just me.

I like Becky's answer!

Anonymous said...

P.S. See you tomorrow night! You didn't think I'd pass up a chance to find out how to be a HOT writer, did you?

Unknown said...

Have fun tomorrow night & I don't have a clue what H.O.T. means.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Hungry (to get published), inOffensible and Talented?

I had other plans tonight, but since I am also a HOT writer (of the hot flash variety) I am going to reschedule the other committment and come tonight.

Joanne said...

The panel discussion at Borders sounds like it'll be chock full of interesting stories. There's nothing like hearing others' stories, and somehow sharing in the journey.

Susan said...

Okay, Linda. Here're my acronymns:

1. Heart
2. Optimism
3. Tenacity

Good luck tonight! You'll be great! Sincerely, Susan

Lynn said...

I have no idea - but Becky's answer sounds good. I'll find out tonight!

Lynn said...

Wait, maybe Humorous or Honest for the H.

Chatty Crone said...

Happy St. Pat's Day!

sandie♥

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I would say Honest, Optimistic and Tenacious. :)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Oh, hey...I got so caught up in HOT I forgot to mention the field trip. What a blast! You do some fun things with your class. I bet they adore you. You must get 100 hugs a day, and how cool is that? Lucky lady!

Anonymous said...

Great job tonight, Linda! Now I know what HOT writer means!

Debora said...

Ummm,

Heartfelt
Objective
Tenacious?

I'd sure like to hear some of those stories you're going to tell. It would be fantastic if you'd blog about them too!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh my gosh, think brain, think!! Ok, I have no idea. Tell me!!