Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Stepping out of your comfort zone

This won First Round Winner at The Verb in 2009. The directions were to rewrite a song without using the lyrics. The judge would then play the original song while reading your submission and see how close you came to the original content. I had fun doing this exercise. Maybe you would like to stretch your writing muscles and give it a try too. Oh come on, rewrite a couple of lyrics to your favorite song. Prove to yourself that you can write out of your comfort zone. If you want me to guess, don't title it, and post it in the comments section.

Can you figure out my favorite song and the artist by reading my submission? It will probably be simple.

My heart has been a lead-heavy weight since we broke up, and drowning my sorrows with scotch on the rocks for the past two weeks isn’t cutting it for me. Thought I’d kissed you off and I was through with you. I decided to find someone else. I had no idea whether it was Monday, Sunday or any day in between when that gal strode into the bar with her spike heels and bleach blonde hair, towered over me, breathed down my neck and offered to make my dreams come true. The well-endowed babe with the German brogue tried to seduce me, did her best to convince me that she had what it takes. But despite her come hither looks and blatant sexual offers, I couldn’t get my mind off of you. There have been numerous femme fatals and I admit I haven’t been true to you. I’ve had my share of big-boobed broads, but this one was nothing compared to you. All I could think about was how you looked the first night we met, your outfit made of amoeba embellished material. I figured your makeup and clothes were a result of youth and naivete`. Girl, your simple magnificence made me do a double take.

Baby, you will forever be in my ticker and spiritual psyche. Your presence is always with me and I can’t get you out of my cerebral cortex. When I’m a geezer on a cane you will be my thrill, my burst of oxygen; I will breathe you in. You have always been my compatible sexual partner, my dearest acquaintance. You will always be in the vital vascular organ located right here in my chest; I can’t get you out of the spiritual part of my being either. My passionate affection for you cannot be quantified and my honor and esteem for you is vast. You are seemingly not growing older, you are eternal, very pleasing to look at. You are like fine, frilly woven string. You are excellent! This is my last declaration, an announcement that I want the entire world to hear. Your presence resides within me, and I can’t live without you, because no one else compares. I’m finished with the booze, the babes and the bars. Baby it will always be you!

7 comments:

Susan said...

Oh man, Linda. That was HARD. "Til there was you?" Honestly,I don't know and can't wait to see the answer. Susan

Lynn said...

I'm clueless. I don't even know the correct words to a song!

Pat Wahler said...

Can you hum the melody?

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Linda O'Connell said...

I didn't know what day it was when you walked into the room...the big bosomsed lady with the Dutch accent tried to change my point of view...You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old...
(Rod Stewart's Final Acclaim)Read some of the lyrics and they'll make sense now that you know the song.

Chatty Crone said...

I was lost too - until your answer. sandie

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

OOOoohhhh....LOL I had no clue until I read your comment above. And I love Rod Stewart! How did I miss it?

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

I got it! Halfway through, I began to hear "Tonight's the Night" in my head!