Sunday, February 12, 2012

All you need is LOVE

I like to peruse the book shelves at thrift shops. My mom was a woman of strong faith; the Bible was the only book she cared to read. She and I had this ongoing issue. She was determined to force feed me a sermon every time she called, several times a day, or when we were together. I would laugh and say, "Okay-Okay, stop! I am a believer. I know-I know. You want to give me a shovelful, but all I need is a spoonful." She'd back off a while, but she couldn't help herself, she was relentless in her preaching.

With Valentine's Day upon us, she's still trying to get her messages across. I was scanning the used book titles in search of some light, humorous reading material. Only the religious titles stood out like BOLD print on a blank page. Not just dozens of Holy Bibles; I counted at least fifty faith-based books interspersed on six shelves! It became humorous. I snickered and sent a silent heavenly message, "Okay-okay, that's a shovelful." But, I did buy Ninety-Minutes in Heaven, to appease her. Then, a religious book fell off the shelf and onto the floor at my feet. I had not been rummaging anywhere near there. Not creepy to me, just funny.

Got home, opened my email and found this. So, I share with you the messages my mom would like me to know. One thing I know for sure, love transcends time, and place.


Listen without interrupting. (Proverbs 18)
Speak without accusing. (James 1:19)
Give without sparing. (Proverbs 21:26)
Pray without ceasing. (Colossians 1:9)
Answer without arguing. (Proverbs 17:1)
Share witout pretending. (Ephesians 4:15)
Enjoy without complaint. (Phillipians 2:14)
Trust without wavering. (Corinithians 13:7)
Forgive without punishing. (Colossians 3:13)
Promise without forgetting. (Proverbs 13:12)

Mom, even though we are in different dimensions, I received your messages and I feel your love.

10 comments:

Bookie said...

Very nice to read tonight, Linda!!

A friend sent me a neighborhood newspaper article (byline Corrigan) that mentioned you often...nice coverage for you and the Reflections book!

Val said...

Sometimes the signs are subtle. Sometimes they tap you on the neck three times while you're sleeping. This one's a neck-tapper.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Never underestimate the power of love...and a mother. :)

Grandma Linda's Daydreams said...

Great post! Sounds like my Mother!
My dear mother worries about the salvation of her grandkids constantly, and always gives Bible gifts. And she saves me bags of newspaper clippings and church bulletins and tracts, and writes scripture on every card she sends!
It's cute! I'm starting to turn into her I think, and it's not such a bad thing, and I realize it's all out of love, and her wanting to share God's love!
Have a Happy Valentine's Day, and some dark chocolate too! I am joining your site today! you are fun and positive and I really like that!
Linda @ Grandmalay's Daydreams

Claudia Moser said...

Lovely post!

Sioux Roslawski said...

I've told my son if he does certain things, I will haunt him long after I'm gone. I guess this means I can make good on my threats. (I, too, love thrift-store bookshelves.)

Cathy C. Hall said...

I'll peruse books anywhere, anytime, Linda. And if a book falls off a shelf and lands at my feet, I'm buying it. ;-)

It's funny, my mom rarely recommmends religious books --though she does an awful lot of church talking!

Karen Lange said...

A book landing at your feet, now what did your Mom say about that? lol :)

Susan said...

That was a good one, Linda. Your Mama made her point.

Thanks for all your sweet visits to my blog and your comments, too.

Why am I not running a Bed and Breakfast? Too time-consuming! Too much work. ha ha ha ha Thought about it, though. Take care. Susan

Lynn said...

Nice post and I'm with you - if a book fell off the shelf by my foot, I'd be buying it too!