Thursday, February 13, 2020

What do you say?

It has been ten days since I last posted. Sounds like a confession.

Nothing major in my life, but a whole lot of little things: hubby battling bronchitis, little kids battling each other, big kids battling the daily grind, grands battling what they perceive as major life issues. Dear friends battling personal issues. One of my former students, now grown passed away. Life has been a tad difficult. I usually get right over the humps. I do not make mountains out of mole hills, but this has been a difficult few days.

I've been listening to my inner voice, and it isn't nice! I preach kindness, but don't always practice what I preach. I snap. I make comments better left unsaid. AND I do not always speak kindly to myself.

I preach faith... without faith what is there? Doubt! Worry! Angst! But my faith sometimes falters.

I preach positive thinking, but some situations appear to be so negative I can't see a way out.

Negative thoughts lead to anxiety, depression, a forlorn feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop...impending doom. Shallow breathing, sighing, wondering, escape napping, and nibbling on cookies of all kinds.

I have received an assignment which requires heavy computer work. I can write, I can speak, I can joke, I can make things, I can assist others, but I am overwhelmed thinking I can't do the computer work because I am technically challenged.

I felt the same way when I was asked to be acquisition editor for a book I developed for a publisher a few years ago.

Now comes the pep talk. I did it before, and I can do it again. My husband, a computer whiz, is feeling better and he's at my beck and call if Hewy (my old Hewlett Packard computer) and I can't work it out.

My kids, grands, and greats will all survive their own issues.

My doctor will be happy if I get back into my healthy eating routine... so I can survive.

I CAN DO whatever it is. I have a choice every day, every moment...and I am choosing  to do what needs to be done.

Usually a swift kick in the pants is all I need, so if you see me around town with my foot against my rear, just know I'm making some adjustments in my life.

10 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

Girl, I'm lucky to write a blog post once a month!

I share your technology issues (always describe myself as a tech-know-not), but have every confidence you will make it through whatever you need to do.

Linda O'Connell said...

Thank you for your support!

DUTA said...

You do the right thing listening to your inner voice. Retirement is that phase in life when this is possible. I even call retirement the last chance one has for a dialogue with one's self, with one's soul and body.
The inner dialogue is the only thing that helps me; this, and faith in God, of course.

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I'm no wizard, but I'm willing to try to help if you have technical issues!

You got this!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--I am NOT going to offer my help, because I'm a techno-nincompoop. But if you can manage to kick yourself in your own butt, I'd love to see that. ;)

Val said...

You can't save the world, but you CAN conquer that computer work. Looks like you have a support crew at the ready, to lend assistance as needed.

Southhamsdarling said...

What a wonderful post, Linda. I really enjoyed it. We all have these niggly worries from time to time, but I shall listen to your advice and give myself a good old pep talk ! Loved all the comments about your family. Great post my friend πŸ‘πŸ»

janet smart said...

WE all need a pep talk sometimes. Sometimes I start feeling down and also need to give myself a swift kick in the pants. You can do it, you're not a quitter.

Connie said...

I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with difficult days. We all have them, but hearing that doesn't make your own go away. You are one of the most positive and encouraging people I know. Sending a virtual hug your way. Happy Valentine's Day to you.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know what you mean! I have been in a major slump lately. I have my SAD light burning to combat the dreary days and try to keep my hands busy. That leaves too much time to think, so I have been listening to lots of audio books. So much so that I have not paid much attention to writing. My attitude is on the negative side and I don't want to share that mood.