Saturday, February 15, 2020

When is the last time you leaped in?


What is your first reaction when you view this photo?

 I haven't seen my five-year-old great-grandson, Liam, in a while. He had a day off school on Friday.
His brothers had already had the opportunity to jump into their "pillow pool," as two-year-old Alex  has named it. Liam was ecstatic to try. He launched himself off the sofa... and kerplunked. 

Even though it was fun, I think it was a bit of a disappointment. He jumped repeatedly. He splatted, and laughed, and laughed. He made the most of the situation.
Have you ever been disappointed by a rejection letter, or missing a writing deadline? Do you make the best of  a situation and roll with it?


 Alex, an old pro at jumping in, had to show his big brother how he did it.
Do you share with those coming up in the writing field? Offer a word of encouragement or share a possible publication call out? Your writing experiences can benefit others. 
Do you ever think out of the box? Try a different writing genre? Stretch your writing muscles? It might be more fun than you expect.
          I gave the boys a bag of tissue paper squares and told them to toss them up to separate them.
 

They had so much fun bouncing, jumping, running, and throwing in the basement family room.
After the active play, we settled down and scrunched up the tissue paper, and glued the pieces onto heart shapes to make their mommy's valentines.
Be sure to take a break from sitting too long, get up, get moving, and then settle down and get back to business. 
Charlie found a pillow with a picture of his big brother Liam (when he was a baby) on it, and loved it. He squealed, "Dada!"

Liam does look like their dad, but then Charlie realized, it was his brother. He kept pointing and saying, "Bubba."Then he'd hug it.

Do you find joy in discovery? You might be surprised what you discover when you step out of your comfort zone.

As an early childhood teacher, I know little children NEED to move. I encouraged active learning in school. I certainly do with my great-grandsons! Young children learn by doing. They need to hop, skip, and jump through early childhood.

Before they went home, I saw Liam washing and drying his hands, and looking at himself in the full length bathroom mirror. I heard him say softly to himself, "I love it here."


So tell me, what was YOUR first reaction upon viewing the picture of Liam taking a leap of faith?

7 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

What adorable pics of the kiddos! Such fun memories. No wonder they love spending time with you. :-)

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--As I say often, you have darling great grandsons.

I love the action shots, with the flutter of tissue paper and their moving hands in a flurry.

Yes, I got a major rejection recently. But I remain hopeful...

Connie said...

The first thing that came to my mind on seeing Liam's leap is the word, "Geronimo!" Then, that made me wonder why people say that when they jump, and I had to go look that up. Funny that I've heard that said when someone jumps all my life, but I never questioned why they say it until now. So, your picture sent me off on a tangent, but I learned something from it. Ha! Wonderful pictures of the boys. They all look like they are having the time of their lives. :)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The simple joys of childhood are hard to recreate when you are "grown". You do such a great job teaching while entertaining the kiddos. Hope they realize just how lucky they are!

Val said...

My first reaction to Liam's leap was: "I hope he doesn't miss part of the pillow pool and bust his lip!" Which I suppose shows that I'm not a risk-taker, and err on the side of caution, and pretty much live my life like a stick in the mud!

I always enjoy seeing pictures of the boys, and the activities you have for them. Of course Liam loves it there!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

The first thing I thought was, "My, how he's grown!". Then I thought about how thick those pillows were, and if it would be a soft landing for him, or a bonk on the head.

I love how you nurture and encourage the greats! You do the same for me as a writer, too. :) Thank you!

Kimberly Vernon Rodgers said...

Your activities for the greats look so fun! And I've stepped out of my box and taken an example from you on submitting some pieces for potential publication. Fingers crossed!