Sunday, March 21, 2021

What lives in a hole?

I am so happy spring has sprung. Alex, 3 and Charlie, 2 have given me so much joy in the past two weeks. They come to Nana's home preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They are having fun learning, and they think they are just playing. 

I surprised each of them with a homemade pop up bunny. I tied a knot in the thumb, middle finger and pinkie of a surgical glove, inverted it, and drew on a face. Stretched the bunny over a cup, added a tiny hole to insert a straw, and taped the hole so no air escaped. I poked the bunny down in the center of the cup and asked what might live in a hole in the ground. We are learning about the many critters that live  underground. (If you make one of these, tape it to the rim of the cup.)

I encouraged Alex to blow on the straw to discover what comes out of its burrow. When he blew, the bunny inflated slowly, but he kept blowing, and the bunny flew up in the air and landed on his head. He giggled and giggled. Poor Charlie wanted no part of it. "No! I scared. get it away!" 

He needs more time. We went outdoors and looked under large rocks to see if we could find insects and worms waking up. They are enjoying themselves, and so am I.

They loved water play. We predicted which things would sink or float. When they weren't looking I slipped some seashells and decorative turquoise, blue, and green beach themed stones in the pan. Gave them a big spoon and let them go "fishing." Charlie kept saying, "Oh, Nanny this is so shiny!"

Then we fished for magnetic number fishies. Hands on learning, the only way!

Hope you are enjoying the reawakening. Our grass is green overnight! Daffodils are sprouting. I love spring! How about you?
 

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Those boys certainly have fun (and learn lots) when the spend time with Nana.

I enjoy spring, but I was hoping for one more snow day. :( It already is getting warmer than I'd like.

Kathy G said...

On Sunday morning I had a bedroom window cracked and heard the bird symphony shortly before dawn, which lulled me back to sleep. It was heavenly!

DUTA said...

It's nice that you can both find time for the kids, and notice the lovely spring awakening.

Val said...

Poor Charlie! Good thing the rubber bunny didn't land on HIS head!

Red Rose Alley said...

Your grandsons are the cutest boys. They have the sweetest warm smiles. The homemade pop-up bunnies sound like a fun project. No Spring here yet, but it has been sunny and our snow has melted. : )

~Sheri

Pat Wahler said...

What fun! You're creating the most marvelous memories for your boys.