Friday, August 20, 2021

I am diving in!

 I pride myself on being resilient, possessing inner strength, and having strong faith, however...

channel surfing local and world news and foreign outlets this morning, I became so overwhelmed I could not watch for another second about how this world is in such chaos: the flooding, wild fires, hurricanes. People suffering, the pandemic raging again, and foolish adults fighting one another making mask-wearing a political issue, instead of protecting innocent children and realizing it is a potential life/death medical issue. My heart aches for our grandchildren going back into the classroom next week. 

As I felt my chest tightening, I realized I was holding my breath and tensing my hands. Like the last block precariously placed upon a child's wobbly tower, I could not pile one more thing on.

So, I flipped on a sit-com rerun, Mike and Molly. Silly jokes and one liners made me grin. 

Carlton's grandmother has the best lines; they never fail to make me laugh out loud. Her wise cracks to her annoying police officer grandson who lives with her, had me guffawing. 

Laughter can be an emotional release, better than crying because my eyes don't get puffy and my nose doesn't get stuffy.

When Victoria, Molly's flaky sister, was reading and reciting Shakespeare with a friend, she said, "You see, I am not so much book-learned as I am magazine-learned."

That struck me not as funny but as alarming, as I fear many people are facebook-learned, social media misled, misinformed, or completely uninformed. 

Crazy world we live in. You have to recognize when to turn off and tune out. 

Liam, Alex and Charlie swam Wednesday. I am not babysitting today. The filled-to-the brim kiddie pool in the back yard is calling me. Water, particularly the sea, beckons me. I yearn for the beach.

Vacation is out of the question again this year, and besides, the Florida beaches are inundated with red tide, flesh eating bacteria, sharks coming into shore, and who knows what else. 

I heard, "The Redneck Riviera is a haven for Covid." The Florida Panhandle, a day's drive away, is often refered to as such. Hmm. No thank you. We will stay home.

Today I am going to take a good book into the back yard and dive in. Rather, slip in carefully, and float my worries away for an hour. 

I am blessed to have actually floated and snorkeled in the Caribbean Sea with colorful fish and creatures, soaked in the Gulf of Mexico, swam in the Pacific Ocean, and waded in tide pools teeming with sea life in the Atlantic with my late best friend.  

I will travel today...back in time and reminisce, reflect, and pray.  

12 comments:

DUTA said...

Yes, schools are a worry, here too.
Children are suspected as great spreaders of the virus; they are a-symp -tomatic, most of them wear no masks, at school they infect each other, and then come home and infect the elders.
May God help us!

Kim said...

If we had a kiddie pool, I'd get in daily! Now that you've broadcast it, it'll soon be a raucous pool party at your house, even if nobody dips even a toe into the water! Imagining Bill in his coconut bra and hula skirt... ��

Susan said...

Oh LInda, what a great idea to slip into that pool. I am with you, "sistah," when it comes to the news and all the wretchedness going on in our world. Truly a dreadful time in history. But then, all generations have dreadful times. Guess it has to do with being human beings. Still, my heart breaks for the people, especially innocent children, in Afghanistan. I cannot bear to see the faces of the little ones, cheated out of their childhoods. We just have to turn everything over, Linda. That is THE ONLY way to survive. Hugs. Susan

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. The world has so many disasters happening right now, and one of the wildfires is pretty close to me in the mountains, so I continue to pray. Sometimes we have to escape to a fun and restful place, like a program or a good book like you are doing right now. I have another blog friend who is from Florida, and it was the first time I heard of the red tide and the flesh eating bacteria, oh my.

I worry about my grandchildren too, and all the children who have started school. My heart breaks for them. Your grandsons in the pool is a pleasant sight and a blessing for you.

Yes, there is much madness happening in the world right now, but this is God's world, and He will take care of it. Feel better, my friend.

~Sheri

Kathy G said...

I watch very little television. Each morning I read the paper (or, if I'm feeling overwhelmed) at least the headlines so I can be informed about the top stories. I catch the first 20 minutes of the local news (mainly for the weather) before bedtime, but only give the non-weather stuff half of my attention.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--I hope your trip today was a delightful one.

Val said...

I would suggest a washtub of sand next to the pool, so you can dig your feet into it as you sit and drip dry. However... a roaming cat might get to it before you, so maybe that's not such a good idea.

Sandi said...

"I fear many people are facebook-learned, social media misled, misinformed, or completely uninformed.

Crazy world we live in. You have to recognize when to turn off and tune out."


YEAH.

So.many.lies. Only one truth.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Like you I fear for the children. I see them here, swimming, camping, totally unmasked and unaware of the world full of dangers that surround them. Childhood should be innocent, but the parents I meet seem to be totally misinformed about how to protect them. Even before Covid they would arrive and simply turn the children loose, giving no thought to the close proximity to a rest area right off the interstate. Children as young as 4 left to explore the woods on their own. Not long ago, a mother confided to me that they no longer watch the news, they get their news from Tik Tok! Are you kidding me?!!! She decided to inform me about the use of crushed infant skulls being a main ingredient in McDonalds sausage patties! According to her Dr. Fauci has been implementing the gathering of aborted fetus remains to source these "skulls" in order to brainwash the population. Causing me to ask her how many she ate. She was not aware that I was making fun of her. How can people be so gullible? And, yes she was a very outspoken Trump follower.

Red Rose Alley said...

Thank you for your continued prayers for the fires and my safety, Linda. I appreciate that very much. I'm glad your grandson had a good school day and it made you feel better, and I hope this school year is a good one for him as well. : ) There has already been 8 kids at Jess' school with the virus, and she doesn't know what the future is yet at her school for teaching inside the classroom or at home. I sure wish she could teach from home. : )

~Sheri

Wise Hearted said...

I like how you described how often times we only see things through others opinions, "facebook learned". So true. Glad I have the Lord to go to for discernment. Blessings.

Pat Wahler said...

The times are truly overwhelming.

I also look for distraction and comfort in my favorite comedy shows. Laughing is good for us.