Monday, February 7, 2022

Scammers going to scam!

 Be careful, folks. Hubby opened his computer and saw a screen that indicated the laptop was inoperable and had been hijacked with malware.

"Better call the Geek Squad at Best Buy." I suggested. "I'll Google their number."

After hearing a recording from Best Buy, a man with a Nigerian accent came on the line and claimed he could help us. He said, "It is terrible what they are doing to senior citizens. We have been dealing with this for weeks."

And then, he asked us to give him access to the computer so he could repair etc. The clincher, he asked for $2,500.00  When I squealed, "We cannot afford that!" he said, "Oh do not cry dear lady. Sit back and relax. I can do it for $250.00. Do you have credit cards or Amazon?" 

When I questioned him, he gave me his name and email. I paused a bit too long, so he asked for Bill. He began to get irate and said, "If you do not trust me, disconnect right now!"

And so we did. 

Took the laptop to Best Buy. The first question they asked is, "Did you Google our phone number?"

NOW WE KNOW. That's how they infiltrate.

The Geek Squad removed viruses and said there is no way to completely prevent future viruses, but to be cautious.

We did spend $200.00 for a three-year plan on all our devices. 

When we picked up the laptop, we had a message from Amazon that someone tried to spend $250.00 but they cancelled the attempted transaction.

Dirty rotten scammers. 

On a happy note, the weather is rebounding and hopefully the 55 degrees expected tomorrow will melt this foot of snow still lingering on side streets and at mailboxes.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Scammers!! I hate them. Glad you were wise and didn't give him any information!

Val said...

Good for you, sensing that scam before getting taken!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my, what an awful experience you had, Linda. That is one of the reasons why I don't like to order things on-line - it gives too much of our personal info. I haven't had to call the Geek Squad in some time, and hope that this computer of mine holds up for years. I think you handled this situation well.

Stay warm with all that snow that you're having. Ours has melted, but it tends to pile up along the sides of the streets. Will have to do something about that soon. ; )


~Sheri

Kathy G said...

How horrible!