Monday, February 21, 2022

The president does WHAT?!

 Today it is going to be almost 70 degrees in St. Louis. On this Presidents' Day holiday, school children and many workers are going to be out and about. Our grands and greats are going to Elephant Rocks for a day of hiking and climbing on huge granite boulders.

When I was still teaching I used to do an activity for this particular holiday. I felt it was important to stress a sense of community inside the classroom as well as out. We did canned food drives, and the children walked with their donations to the local church food bank. I enocuraged kindness and caring. 

We did a craft activity. The children snipped with scissors all along the edges of their paper. Then they made a red, white, and blue  pattern using one inch squares around the border of their paper. Next I wrote, If I were the President, I would... (do to help others? Make a rule? etc) and I wrote their words and great ieads:

Give everyone food to eat and any toy they want.
Make everyone clean their room.
Play nicely with their brother/sister.
Help your grandma.

Next I wrote, What does the president do? What is the President's job?

Oh my goodness did I get some hysterical responses when Bill Clinton was in office.

He goes to hotels.
He flies airplanes.
He tells everyone he is the boss.
He talks on the phone to girls. 

The kids' answers were so funny I sent them to the White House. Don't know if President Clinton ever took a look, but somebody sure got a laugh. Twentyto thirty preschoolers repeating what they had heard at home and on TV. They sent us a packet of teaching materials, booklets and posters in return. 

I displayed the students' posters in the hall for all to see. Parents and staff loved it. 

5 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

Kids are far wiser than we give them credit for. It's fascinating to hear things from a child's perspective!

Red Rose Alley said...

I think the community food bank was a wonderful idea for your students. It gives the children a sense of helping at a young age. Jess had a four day weekend as a teacher, and it was a good time to rest. Teachers are valuable in so many ways.

Have a good week Linda.

~Sheri

ps.....I liked the answer from your student, help your grandma. ; )

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Wonder what they would have to say about the previous president .... Would be interesting, no doubt and the answers would reflect their parent's point of view. Maybe this is how surveys should be done, kids that age are so honest!

Val said...

Heh, heh! Talks on the phone to girls! And TELLS everyone he is the boss. I'm surprised he even had time to fly an airplane.

Dianna Graveman said...

I love all your teaching ideas. And I'm sure somebody at the Clinton White House got a kick out of your students' responses!