Saturday, November 12, 2022

One ringy dingy; one hour or two; volunteers needed

 Ashley, my great grandson Charlie's mama, looked just like him when she was his age, except she had shoulder length blonde curls. She was as smart, talkative, bold and bubbly as Charlie, too.

I saw a commercial on TV today for the Salvation Army bell ringers. They are  notorious for their red kettles in which they collect donations for the needy. They are in need of bell ringers.

          This is not Ashley. Photo credit: Salvation Army website.

I was reminded of when Ashley was three years old and verbose. My daughter and I were holiday shopping, and at each store we gave Ashley a handful of coins to drop into the red kettles to help the needy. 

Each time she did, the bell ringer would hand her a Salvation Army magazine and say, "God bless you!"

After the third time, she stopped and looked directly at the man and said, "Why do you guys always God Bless me when I don't even sneeze?! And why do you keep giving me the same Karate Kid magazine?"

The cover was a shepherd wearing a head band.

Oh that girl has given me some laugh lines over the years. The hilarity continues. Her two littles are four and five, and they say exactly what they think, too. Thank goodness for eight-year-old Liam who tries to temper his little brothers' freedom of speech. LOL 

4 comments:

DUTA said...

' Like mother like son' as the saying goes:)

Pat Wahler said...

Reminds me of the old Art Linkletter show-"Kids say the darndest things!"

Val said...

Heh, heh! Karate Kid! At least she didn't tell the guy he had "old man legs."

Red Rose Alley said...

What a cute story. I really like that picture, it looks so vintage. I remember The Salvation Army bell ringers and their red buckets. I haven't seen them in awhile. I'm wondering if they still do this anymore. They always made people smile at Christmastime, as it is always nice to give when we can. Yes, little ones say the funniest things. Anything that is on their minds haha. That's why they are special little people. Liam sounds like such a good big brother. : )

~Sheri