Monday, February 27, 2023

A backwards glance

Signs of spring are popping out all over. We've had a mild winter in the central Midwest. I am not complaining. I am thrilled and concerned with nature's confusion. What will summer bring?
These daffodils erupted a month ago in late January. The first two weeks of February they began to bud. I feared the occasional frigid nighttime temperature would be their demise, but these little toughies survived. Last week they began to bloom... in February! I filled the water bowl for small animals and birds and stood back and admired this premature gift from Mother Nature.

Reminds me of a floral surprise when I was in fifth grade.

 At dismissal, as school children walked home en masse, a gardener at the apartment building across the street stood in the midst of what looked like a multi-colored crazy quilt of tulips. He snipped bouquets of them and presented one to each student. It was the highlight of that sunny spring day. The older gentleman asked us if we knew about Holland where tulips grew and people wore wooden shoes. I couldn't imagine.

What a surprise to come to school the next day and realize Miss Kuntz was presenting a geography lesson on Holland. She even brought in wooden shoes. A coincidence or a teachable moment? Either way it made a life-long impact.

Our wrought iron patio chairs are uncomfortable without the cushions. The seat cushions are now in place. Hubby and I sat out on this mild weekend and watched birds flit from tree to feeder. Those bright red cardinals are busy boys. They share the perch with the brown females, royal blue jays, purple finches, sparrows, robins, mourning doves, and the gackles who try to nudge their way in, too. Bird seeds are scattered in a huge arc under the feeder near the shed, providing nourishment for the squirrels and chipmunks.

The promise of spring means I will soon be reading outdoors, observing nature, and listening to a symphony of birds. Soothing activities for my soul.

Speaking of concerts, Bill and I were flipping through the channels last evening and found a 1960s Pop, Rock, and Soul concert with original artists performing today on the Public Broadcast Station. Oh what a delight to listen to the soundtrack of our youth, sing along with familiar tunes, and sift through the memories in our minds. 

"I'm Henry the eighth I am..." Ah, for an  hour or so we were lost in time commenting about how old the artists now look. Unlike us, of course.   

 



8 comments:

DUTA said...

Climate dictates our life and the life of all the other species.
Winter gives us all a rest, and then with the arrival of Spring we start again our outdoor activities, that bring us pleasure and beauty with the sights and sounds that surround us.
Tulips, bird chirping, and concerts are only a few of these pleasures.

jabblog said...

It's refreshing to see Spring flowers in the ground and catkins on the trees, lambs in the fields and the birds busy courting.
Somehow I never imagined our American cousins singing 'I'm Henery the Eighth' but why not? It was before George 111 after all ;-)

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, you have many birds coming around your home. I've yet to see the Red Cardinal, as we don't see them here in California where I live. I see lots of mourning doves, such a precious bird. It's good that you sat out there on your porch and spent time in nature, even on the patio chairs without cushions. There's nothing like it. And there's nothing like those old songs, is there? I remember this song you mentioned. What a pretty bunch of daffodils that have blossomed for you already. I enjoyed your post today, Linda, as nature is one of my favorite places to be. : )

~Sheri

Val said...

Your critters drink water in style!

Kathy G said...

Thanks for the reminder that I need to uncover the bistro set on the deck so we can use it.

Pam said...

Here in TN we have busted out all over with blooms....I love it, but can be bad with folks that suffer from allergies. Always, something!! lol....Enjoy your blooms.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The wind is bringing all thetree pollen down the mountain and my dogs are taking Claritin!! They manifest their allergies in a skin rash with itching while the humans are sneezing!

Pat Wahler said...

Our winter has been so mild, I have to remind myself that one of the biggest snowfalls we had all winter a few years ago was on Easter Sunday in April. Thunder snow in April!