Thursday, February 9, 2023

Should you stop or should you go?

Artists, writers, creatives, quilters, dreamers...
Did you ever set out with an idea in mind to create one thing and end up with something all together different? I think we all have. 

Four-year-old Charlie was painting at the easel when he started smearing all the colors. I asked why? He said, "Oh Nana, because I feel like I'm on a nature walk seeing all beautiful colors and things."
How do you interefere with that kind of creativity when it is flowing from the very soul? That expression on his little face is PRIDE!

Writers sometimes tweak until the original piece is unidentifiable. Do you think it is possible to tweak too much? I have tinkered with a story or poem that resulted in two pieces. Have you?

When is enough just that, enough? Do you know when to quit? Do you have an end in mind, or do you write until you run out of steam? Each to his or her own.

I have read stories and poetry that would have been stronger had they ended sooner. But in my opinion, when free writing, you should let the creative juices flow. 

Then go back and edit, cut, discover what needs to stay and what needs to go. 

Never say, "I can't!" Always say, "I can try." That was my class motto when I taught. One of my former students, now an adult, wrote to tell me she uses these words to motivate her children.  

 I had to put into practice what I preached for four decades when I attached these colorful, lightweight balls with masking tape to a cardboard. (The wall would work just as well. Masking tape doesn't leave residue.) I encouraged Alex and Charlie to remove one ball at a time USING ONLY THEIR FEET and place the balls into the basket. 

There were many protests of, "I can't do it!"  "I quit!"  "I am not even playing this game!" As fast as the balls were knocked off and rolling away, I retrieved them and stuck them back on.

When they began to slow down and have success, they laughed, cheered, tried and tried, even when their short legs could not reach the upper balls. I showed them how to scoot their bottoms closer to the wall and reach higher. More success! 

It is the same with any craft, nobody starts out a pro. Try, try again until you reach a level of success.

 


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is terrific advice! The more we write, the better we get at it!

Pat Wahler said...

Very sound advice. Goals should never be approached as a one and I'm done type thing. Keep trying, and trying, and trying.

DUTA said...

Well, your post is actually about:
"Practice makes perfect"
"Do not fear failure, but rather fear not trying"
"Success is achieved and maintained by those who try to keep trying"

jabblog said...

What a great way to encourage perseverance!

Susan said...

The grands have memories of great Grammie that will last long after you have left this earth for the other side, Linda. They have so much FUN with you!

Val said...

That would be a fun activity to watch, like your kitty in the background, keeping an eye on the proceedings!

Angela said...

I usually find myself sticking to the framework of my story, although it definitely goes down different paths than I anticipated. I find the best thing to do when I’m not sure where to go is to just step away and go for a walk. Clears my head and helps me to stay on track .

tracboy2 said...

Great advice that really works. Linda, you are an excellent writer
& I love all of your stories. I am already looking forward to the next one.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for hosting Pat. She's an excellent writer.
I've read all her books and short stories and am looking forward to reading this one.
Pat,
What (or who) inspired you to become a writer?