Monday, February 13, 2023

This Rose is not just any rose!

Today is launch day! 

Introducing Pat Wahler and her latest release.
If you enjoy reading Historical Fiction, you will love this book!

Self-taught artist Rose O'Neill leaves the Midwest for New York in 1893, determined to become an illustrator in a field dominated by males. Mindful of her duty to the impoverished family she left behind, Rose’s obligations require her to yield to the men who hold the reins of her career.

 Yet despite the obstacles facing her, she excels at her craft, eventually designing a new character, the Kewpie. Her creation explodes into a phenomenon, but Rose’s disenchantment with the status quo fosters new ambitions. She must decide whether to remain within the boundaries dictated for her, or risk everything she’s gained to pursue the creative and personal passions that ignite her soul.

 The Rose of Washington Square is the story of a remarkable artist, writer, suffragist, and philanthropist whose talents lifted her from obscurity into one of the most famous women of her era.

 
                                 Pat Wahler

Pat Wahler is winner of Western Fictioneers' Best First Novel of 2018, a Walter Williams Award winner, and the winner of Author Circle Awards 2019 Novel of Excellence in Historical Fiction for I am Mrs. Jesse James. She has also authored a three-book contemporary romance series-the Becker Family Novels, and two holiday-themed books; all named Five-Star Readers’ Favorites. A frequent contributor to the Chicken Soup for the Soul anthologies, Pat is an avid reader with a special passion for historical fiction, women’s fiction, and stories with heart. She makes her home in Missouri with her husband and two rescue critters—one feisty Peek-a-poo pup and a tabby cat with plenty of attitude.

1.  What inspired the idea for The Rose of Washington Square?

I enjoy writing women from the past, particularly if they have ties to my home state of Missouri. Doing random searches on women from history in the Midwest, I ran across the name of Rose O’Neill. I knew she’d created the Kewpie Doll, but I really didn’t know much else about her. The more I dug into her numerous accomplishments and realized what a trailblazer she truly was, the more fascinated I became. Before long, I knew I had to write her story. 

2.  How much research did your book require?

As a writer of historical fiction, I always do a fair amount of research. I need to understand the era, culture, and events of the time period I write. Then there’s a deep dive into correspondence, journals, biographies, plus magazine and newspaper articles related to the specific person I’ve chosen. Next I construct a world timeline alongside a personal timeline to give me a sense of what happened when. If possible, I like to spend time at actual locations that were part of my character’s life to experience what they did. Finally, I plot and outline the story and then on to writing it.

3.  How long did it take you to write the book?

 

The initial research portion took around a year. During the time I began to put words on paper, there were additional pieces of information that came to my attention, so I actually wrote and researched in tandem for another year before I could even glimpse the finish line.  

 

4.  How did you come up with your title?

 

Oh, titles. They’re one of my most difficult decisions. I can’t tell you how many different “working titles” there were for this book. I had a page of possibilities, and over months I pared the list down to three. Oddly enough, none of them really grabbed me, until I had a conversation with my developmental editor. She came up with a suggestion that seemed so simple yet so perfect, I grabbed onto it. The Rose of Washington Square.

 

5. What advice would you give a writer working on their first book?

Make sure you have good editors and proofreaders who will help you shape your manuscript and polish it until it shines. If traditional publishing is your goal, pitch the manuscript at writer conferences. Submit it to agents or to publishers that don’t require agented submissions. Listen if experienced people in the writing business offer advice. Don’t fall for scammers who are interested in your money, not your manuscript. Many authors find great satisfaction in publishing their own work. Just make sure you have a professional quality cover and product to offer.

Finally, as Winston Churchill once said, “Never, never, never give up.” If you want to be a published author, make that your mantra.

6. What is the best writing advice you were ever given?

The importance of connecting with other writers. Join writing groups and get involved with a critique group. It’s a great way to learn, and I’ve found writers to be extraordinarily supportive. Plus, it’s kind of nice venting to people who not only understand your frustrations but help to celebrate your successes.

Pat: Linda, thank you so much for inviting me to your blog!

Linda: My pleasure. Congratulations and much success to you!
            Readers, check out Pat Wahler and her newest release, and                  please leave a comment below. Isn't that cover beautiful?

Link to the book: https://books2read.com/u/mZ0aN2

Website: https://patwahler.com/      

Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/PatWahlerAuthor

Goodreads Author Page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13504530.Pat_Wahler

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/patwahler/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/PatWahlerAuthor

Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Pat-Wahler/e/B079158GWC

Bookbub Author Page: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/pat-wahler

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/k9friend1/_created/

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about THE ROSE OF WASHINGTON SQUARE. My grandmother loved Kewpie dolls, so I feel a special draw to this book. I’ve passed the sign to Rose’s Missouri home near Springfield many times. Now I can’t wait to visit when tours open for the season. Best wishes on your new release, Pat! Thank you for sharing, Linda! - Karen Sargent

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Interesting, I will need to check this book out. I love history and you know I love to read!

Kathy G said...

It sounds like a fascinating read.

Anonymous said...

Excellent interview. The book looks like a good read!

Pat Wahler said...

Linda, thank you so much for hosting me! I hope readers grow to love Rose and her fascinating story as much as I loved writing it. :-)

jabblog said...

Rose O'Neill's drawings put me in mind of Mabel Lucie Atwell, a British contemporary of Rose O'Neill. She had a rather different start in life though.

Susan said...

"The Rose of Washington Square" sounds enticing! I really would love to know the story behind the Kewpie doll! Pat certainly does lots of research before putting pen to paper on the actual story. Warm congratulations on the book and on all your hard work!

Also, thanks to Linda for putting this on your blog!

Red Rose Alley said...

Well, you had me at The Rose. ; ) Sounds like a splendid book. So nice of you, Linda, to introduce her on your blog. I watched the movie, "Suffragette," so I'm interested in that topic. I like Winston Churchill's advise. And it's true. I hope the book has much success, and it sounds like a good one. And the Kewpie Doll is delightful.

~Sheri

Val said...

Of course I've heard of the Kewpie Doll, but I never thought of somebody "inventing" it. I had no idea that it had a connection to Missouri, nor the time period of its inception. This sounds like a well-researched, fascinating journey into the past.

Rebecca Wood said...

I decided to check out a sample of "The Rose of Washington Square" on Amazon, and I was immediately drawn into the first chapter, so I had to buy it so that I could read the whole thing! Just reading that first chapter made me feel like I was in one of those 1893 NYC newsrooms.

DUTA said...

Titles are, indeed, difficult decisions. Even .. post titles in a blog.
The cover of the book is very beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I received notice of the book from Amazon, but didn't know there's a MO connection.
I enjoy historical fiction about females who were innovators in a very male-ruled world. I'll add this book to my shelf ASAP.

Thanks to both Pat and Linda for the info!

Jennifer Brown Banks said...


Congrats on your success, Pat!

Pat Wahler said...

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments! I'm so excited to introduce the world to Rose O'Neil. :-)

Dianna Graveman said...

Thanks to both of you for the insight into Pat's writing practice. I am reading "Rose" now and loving the book. Thoroughly engaging!