Saturday, August 22, 2009

Writers helping writers

If you have ever written about a very sensitive topic, then you know how difficult it is to get the mechanics of your writing correct when you are so focused on the story details. Today I tweaked and tweaked a personal essay that ripped at my heart strings and made every nerve in my body raw. I made obvious mistakes, and got so frustrated that I finally had to walk away from it and do something I don't like to do. I asked a fellow writer and dear friend for help. It was as difficult for me ask for a critique as it was to write the essay. I am indebted to you, D. Thank you-thank you.

Sometimes we just need a helping hand. Don't be afraid to ask. We should reach out to one another. I am here if anyone needs MY help.

1 comment:

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

I have been doing a lot of personal work around this subject of asking for help. My biggest problem is simply remembering to ask! As writers, we often train ourselves to be so solitary...

I'm here for you too, and you know that I do ask for your help sometimes! ;-)