Thursday, October 8, 2009

Don't get too big for your britches!

Today a three year old girl who was playing with a doll, wanted to put on dress-up clothes, but she didn't want anyone to get her doll. She asked me to help her find a place to lay it down for a nap. I opened my jacket, tucked it in and said, "I'll keep it safe for you right here." She shook her head no and said, "That is not the softest place in the world. I want my dolly back." Then she buried it in a pile of clothes on a cot. Now that is a little girl who knows what she wants and will succeed in life.

I've been thinking a lot about success. A woman I know wrote a niche book, promoted it on local and national television and went on the lecture circuit. She made a blanket statement that her only correspondence with email buddies would be to further her career, no personal chit-chat because she didn't have TIME. I think when writers burst at the seams, it's because they get too big for their britches. Time is the only thing we have, maybe not enough in a given day, but we must make time for others.

1 comment:

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

No time for a personal life? Wow. That's sad. She will suffer for that decision.