Saturday, October 24, 2009

Piles of stuff

Saturday 7:30 p.m.

I've been gone all day. I had breakfast with an old friend/boss who came in town from Nebraska. She has a masters in physical education, taught at Harris Stowe among other places, left St. Louis for another university and is now out of a job. If anyone has any leads, let me know. She's willing to return to St. Louis, doesn't want to work with little kids though and is willing to do anything in the field of education or photography.

I came home a few minutes ago, checked the mailbox, saw a pile of something laying in the street; definitely a dead skunk. I took the pile of mail (a writer's check, yay! and bills to pay) and plopped everything on the desk and shook my head in disgust at the pile of stuff I should have been working on today. Then I read a friend's blog. She, like many writers is frustrated about not knowing where to submit her own pile of work. I then came across a most appropriate quote.

"Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing." ~Sylvia Plath

I'm sure we all have our piles whether they are on the desk, or in the computer.I think that searching for markets is a pain, but it is absolutely the grunt work that freelance writers have to do. I spend several hours a week scouting markets early in the morning, and it is getting more difficult.

No comments: