Thursday, November 12, 2009

Submitting Consistently

I read at open mic on Tuesday and got lots of laughs and positive comments. That spurred me to go home and submit more stuff. I think that I am making up for a lost month. I am on a roll; eleven submissions in 12 days. Woo-hoo! So what if most will be rejected? At least they are out "there" instead of in "here".

A lot of people claim to be writers, but they don't write for publication, personal satisfaction or posterity. Words written today may weave themselves into the fabric of a cover that years from now a family member would enjoy getting wrapped up in. Start small; write about a childhood memory or something that you did that was uproariously funny or embarrassing. Don't listen to your inner critic, just free write. Have fun.

3 comments:

Dianna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianna said...

Wow, Linda, you are an inspiration! I have to do better. When these Arcadia books are behind me, I will. Thanks for the lift!

Dianna Graveman
http://diannagraveman.wordpress.com

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

I have a spurt of submitting every month or so. Then, I'll usually get about five or six things out. It's so much work to write all the cover letters, sign up for various online submission engines, print and weigh postage (for those that must go snail mail), and keep track on my submissions calendar spread sheet. I know if I were more diligent, I'd have more acceptances (as you do!). Still, I won the Most Rejections contest in my MFA program (and the Most Rejections also equals the Most Acceptances; it's a writer's law of physics or something), so I know I'm doing something right.