Sunday, May 16, 2010

Don't bug me when I'm writing

Linda O’Connell
Published in Long Story Short, 1/08


Don’t Bug Me When I’m Writing!

Don’t bug me when I’m writing
or I might snap off your head.
Don’t tell me that you’re thirsty,
hungry, tired, or ready for the bed.

Don’t call me on the telephone
or I might yank out the line.
Cause when I’m busy writing
I don’t want to hear you whine.

Don’t come knocking gently
if the office door is shut.
It breaks my concentration
And I want to kick your butt.

Don’t talk when I am writing;
it makes the voices merge.
The ones inside my head I need.
It’s yours I want to purge.

Don’t bring me mail to open
if the envelope’s folded twice.
It’s just my SASE returning
And the things I’ll say aren’t nice.

Don’t turn that TV volume up.
It messes with my head.
I end up typing dialogue
that Schwarzenneger said.

Don’t bug me when I’m writing
unless you hear me shout
“Honey, can you come in here?
I can’t get this paper out.”

With a heartfelt thanks and much love, I dedicate this to my husband, Bill, who always knows what to do when the computer/printer malfunctions.

14 comments:

Susan said...

Good one, Linda. True, too! Sincerely, Susan

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Thanks for the morning laugh! I believe I will copy it (with the appropriate byline, of course) and tape it to my office door. Delightful and true!

Linda O'Connell said...

Susan,
Thank you. You'd think being a preschool teacher that noise wouldn't bother me. But when I'm writing, I need quiet.

Linda O'Connell said...

Lisa,
Be my guest, make coipes and hand it to anyone who disturbs you when you're writing.

Tammy said...

Oh my gosh--I laughed out loud at this! You should print this on little door knob hangers and sell them. Or...wait! Give them away at your next book signing! I want several.

Linda O'Connell said...

Tammy, you are so supportive, thanks. I'll never forget the day I wrote this. Bill was watching ARNOLD and the TV was blaring. I typed a line from the movie!

Lynn said...

Great funny poem Linda! And I so can relate.

BECKY said...

Oh so true!!! And funny!!! I'm with Tammy...hand these out at your next book signing!! :)

JanetPrince said...

You have shared good information here thanks.

Gadi said...

Special area from which you can find the information about the genre. Just keep your goal more great from this section and enjoy the better deal with this. You can also learn more in a very short time and can buy the better support.

Useful link said...

So the writing is the so sensitive issue. I know this is not easy. When you write something and in this time if anyone bug you then you can't consent in your writing.

Look here said...

you can write this way once you are in forest just try it in forest I hope you can do it. thanks for article but I think you should stay in home for your sefty.

look here said...

Good post this is. I thing the writing is the most important for a blog. Otherwise the blog will no in progress. so this is so needed for the blog.

Unknown said...

Interesting poem! Thanks for sharing your great thoughts. I would like to say that you'll see here best writing guidance and that article is best blog for literature students.