Sunday, May 12, 2013

Going through the Emotions


 
THANKS TO ALL WHO ATTENDED LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER ST. LOUIS, 2013
          on May 11th at the Emerson Auditorium, St. Luke's Hospital Education Center. 
                                             I was priviliged to be a part of this wonderful cast.
                                                           Click on photo to enlarge

My baby turns forty this year. I am old enough to be mother to most of my fellow cast members, yet I feel like we are all sisters.

Rehearsing with the women from Listen to Your Mother St. Louis 2013, an Ann Imig Production, made me feel like an expectant and new mother all over again. My hormones took a hike years ago, but the mood swings over the past weeks brought it all back. My chin broke out and I also got a blemish above my lip; admittedly, that may have been from dry shaving my mustache, I don't know, but it was a red honker for a week. I worried the entire time and had to buy extra strength antiperspirant!

When I first received the email that my story was selected, I screeched with joy, felt as excited as when the positive lines on the pee stick show up blue, (only in my time I think the rabbit died,) sorry.

I was nervous at the audition, unsure of myself amongst a group of younger professional women, apprehensive sharing my life story with strangers, afraid I'd trip over my tongue or my own feet in my gorgeous, new heels provided by sponsor, Bronx Diba Shoe Outlet. I was hopeful that my sinuses (spring in St. Louis!) would stop draining so I wouldn't have to clear my throat, snuffle snot, or hawk up a hair ball during rehearsals.

I was relieved after we read our stories to one another, so happy to discover that we were ALL more the same than different. I could relate to every single story, although I do not have as much jewelry as some. We laughed and cried together.

Then, came the big day, May 11, 2013. As I sat in the green room watching the cast toast and sip mimosas, I was envious of those who can drink alcohol and not suffer from my malady: running off at the bowels and mouth. My husband can attest, when I have even one drink, I talk endlessly and end up in the john, so I knew better than to start sipping the bubbly. Instead, I noshed on Jilly's miniature cupcakes. Thank You, Jilly's! Before we exited the green room, Alana Flowers led us in prayer. We did an all hands in salute, then we headed out the door to take our places.

Sitting backstage with all of the women in the hallway, waiting my turn to "go on" reminded me of waiting in the OB's office  many years ago. I felt special knowing that we all shared a unique bond. I was SO EXCITED when the moment finally arrived. I pranced proudly onto that stage and made the delivery look easy, while inside I was quaking.

When we returned to the stage and joined hands and took a bow, I felt a sense of unity, a connection beyond explanation. Afterwards, as we mingled in the hall, I felt that sense of euphoria that every new mom feels after she gives birth. Each of us had done something so special that no other person had ever done, delivered our own babies. The "birth announcements" rolled off our tongues, came from our hearts, and souls, and funny bones right through the microphone. The gifts came in the form of compliments from friends, family, and perfect strangers who appreciated hearing our life stories.

Every single cast member made me feel special, accepted, appreciated and loved. Getting to know each woman has been so much fun. Listen to Your Mother St. Louis has been a truly remarkable experience. "Thank you" does not seem to be sufficient. Ellie Grossman, Laura Edwards-Ray, Naomi Francis, Suzanne Tucker, and Virginia Kerr did an outstanding job and YES, we did receive TWO standing ovations! Thank you and praises to one and all.

And, uhmm, although I am running off at the mouth, I am not drinking.

To view more photos of LTYM, go to http://ratiooffailures.blogspot.com and check out Kim's blog.

13 comments:

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Linda, excellent description of the emotional ride we've been on. It was kind of like a birth...now we nurture the increase in our self-esteem, we support each other's talent and venture out and do MORE!

This has been an extraordinary event...and I hope the euphoria and increased confidence sticks around for a long while.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--It was a rollercoaster ride for the audience as well. We laughed, we cried, and we were inspired.

Thanks for writing your story. Thanks for submitting it. Thanks for having the courage to share it. It was a fabulous morning.

noexcuses said...

I so enjoyed your story and, because of blogging, felt I had a friend up on stage, between you and Kim! I can just imagine the electricity going through your body as you shared your story. Your writing, and speaking, is from your heart, for real! You are truly an inspiration to me, both as a mom and as a writer! Kudos on a job well done!

jabblog said...

It sounds like a really enjoyable and fulfilling event. Well done to all of you.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

I'm glad the event went so well. It's great to experience that kind of connection.

Connie said...

It sounds like you had a great time! I'm happy for you. :-)

Chatty Crone said...

Linda it sounds like you really had a great time doing this. I don't think I could do it at all. Hope you had a great mother's day too. sandie

Janet, said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I get nervous when I have to talk in front of people, too.

BECKY said...

So happy for you and Kim, Linda!

Bookie said...

Congrats again for being chosen to participate, Linda. Sounds like a great time for all.

Lynn said...

I am so glad that I went. It was an awesome show and I just loved it. You're an inspiration.

Val said...

I'm sure you broke a proverbial leg, and reaped well-earned applause. Congratulations.

Pat Wahler said...

What an awesome experience! Sounds like the morning was everything you hoped it would be.

Pat
Critter Alley