Friday, December 13, 2013

Forget Tylenol! I've got food, friends and frivolity

We have been on the go, running here and there. While caught up in the holiday hustle and bustle, we both agreed we haven't spent enough time with each other. Neglect can do a  marriage in. Spontaneity can keep it alive. I had a half day off work...

He thought I was in the bedroom; I thought he was in the living room. He opened the door and found me first... on my back, supine, legs spread, glazed eyes staring at him. I smiled. From my vantage point my 6'1" man looked gigantic. He looked at me quizzically, then reached out a hand as I lay sprawled on the driveway. "What the hell happened to you?"

"I don't know what happened. My right foot twisted under me. I heard my ankle snap as I went down. I know you like it when I fall at your feet."
He didn't laugh.

"Should I call an ambulance? Let me get you up and take you for X-rays."

"No, we have to go to the store. I will make myself walk, and I will not take off my shoe until we get home."

So, I rolled to my knees and on all fours pushed up, hefted my hunk of chunky monkey butt off the ground and began to limp up and down the driveway mumbling to myself. "You can do this!"

He knows me well enough to leave me alone when I talk to myself.

So, after three laps, I scooted gingerly into the car and we headed to the grocery store. The parking lot was packed. People in St. Louis panic when they hear the words "ice" and "snow" muttered by meteorologists. The store was crammed with people.

We met Betty and Ron, Pat and Phil, Linda and Chuck, Ray and Gerri who were wandering the aisles sipping and swilling goblets of wine, taste-testing ham, turkey, meatballs, pizza, cheeses and desserts.

Gerri's responsible for all the fun. There was standing room only. Gerri is a Schnuck's store manager. That gal knows how to throw a wine tasting party! After a few taste tests, my limp was noticeably less and my mood greatly improved.

Then, we came home and I took my shoe off. What an ugly swollen, sprained multi-colored ankle. I am fortunate I did not break a hip, leg or ankle.

TOMORROW... come on out to Main Street Books in St. Charles and support local authors. I will participate in a multi-author Chicken Soup for the Soul book signing. I will be there 1-3 unless we get ice and snow...and then I'll be running back to the store...

Bring a canned good for 20% off your entire purchase. Lots going on in St. Charles this weekend. be sure to bundle up for the parade.

   

10 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Hallo Linda. Gosh, poor you, falling over like that. I'm glad that it was only badly bruised, and nothing broken. As you say, it could have been so much worse. Imagine how awful that would have been, especially at this time of year. My daughter says that alcohol really helps her back pain as well!!

Connie said...

Oh my goodness! So sorry to hear this, Linda. You probably should have let him take you to the ER! I hope you are on the mend soon.

Anonymous said...

Linda--Bill swept you off your feet? I hear he has that effect on SEVERAL local female writers...

Val said...

That makes my ankle hurt in sympathy. And I don't even like wine.

River said...

You heard something snap and you STILL went shopping??
You're a tough cookie.

Susan said...

Oh Linda. Thank GOD you didn't break a hip. That could've been a lot worse. At least you can make it to the author signing today. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

I took a similar fall a few weeks ago in the front hallway. Didn't know what made me fall but I went down on my right hip like a Redwood tree.

My head hit the French doors. They opened up! Hubs heard the crash (also like a Redwood tree) from the man cave and came speeding up.

Like your hubs, he asked if I wanted an ambulance. I said, "NOOOOOOOO." Somehow he helped me up and today, weeks later, there's a spot that still feels like a machete tip in my hip. But it's not broken and I'm trudging through the holidays. ha ha ha
Good luck with the signing. Susan

Linda O'Connell said...

Book signing cancelled due to big snow storm.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

I hope your ankle is better, Linda!

Totally understand the rush to the grocery store before a storm. My big plans today were crammed into a few hours last night. Milk? Check. Bread? Check. Cereal? Check. At least we'll have breakfast.

Debra Mayhew said...

I wish I could stop by your book signing - hope you can reschedule soon and hope your ankle heals quickly...you had me laughing out loud at the beginning of this post!

Pat Wahler said...

Oh dear! Sounds like you've been taking a beating lately. Last week a friend of mine piled 2 big phone books on a chair to help her decorate the top of the Christmas tree. She fell, broke her foot and sprained her ankle. Ouch! Hope you feel better soon.

Pat
Critter Alley