Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Giggles, grins, and belly laughs

 I have been in a writing slump. I usually catch up by year's end. But if I am not in the mood, it's best I wait until I am motivated. Then I can write like gangbusters!

Today I went back and looked at my submissions calendar. I have sent Chicken Soup for the Soul 22 personal essays to fit themed call outs. The majority of my stories were for humor books.

Today in my inbox, I discovered a last minute request from CSS for a humor essay. That ticked me off! I had been working diligently on my stories. If the first 15 I'd sent didn't tickle their funny bone, then apparently I didn't have what they wanted. Forget it! 

I was ready to close the computer when I checked my emails one last time. No, I did not get an acceptance for one of those stories, but I laughed myself silly at some of my junk mail correspondence offers.

I thought... this could be a story. And so I got to work composing those subject line, eye catching emails and my responses to each. My piece made ME laugh. 

Hope this submission lands on a few funny bones. 

What is the weirdest email offer you have received?  


7 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

My spam folder has a lot of "senior" dating site offers. No thanks!

Red Rose Alley said...

Don't worry. Sometimes we just get into a writing funk. But your stories are so funny sometimes. And I seldom laugh out loud when reading blogs, but I get a kick out of your stories. Hang in there. I don't get too many weird e-mails thankfully. : )

Have a good September week, Linda.

~Sheri

Susan said...

Good for you writing another piece, Linda. You definitely have perseverance. I get offers all the time to get my college loans paid off. Well, sorry to tell the solicitors, my student loans were paid off more than 50 years ago. Brother. Hugs. Susan

Val said...

I get emails calling me "Gloria," saying that I've won a foreign lottery. Lucky Gloria! I hope her payments have not been delayed, heh, heh!

Sioux Roslawski said...

I got an email from a supposed friend. It began the way she begins emails. This friend travels--a lot. The email from "her" said she was out of town and needed a gift card for her nephew. (She DOES have a nephew.)

To make an embarrassing story a bit less so, I got the gift card, and emailed them the number on the card. (I had tried to call my friend to verify what kind of card, but she didn't answer--which is typical for her.) Of course, a couple of days later, I got an email from my friend. It was really from her this time, and she said her email had been hacked. I didn't have the heart to tell her I'd been had.

I guess the thief either sold my email to someone else (as a sucker) or tried again. This time, I responded, and asked how much they'd like the gift card for. A million dollars? I never heard from them again.

It was a valuable lesson that cost me $100. Weird? No. Embarrasing? Yes.

Kathy G said...

My junk emails are an endless source of amusement for me. Hope your slant on yours tickles the editor's funny bone.

DUTA said...

I get only few spam emails probably because of moderation: both the internet provider and Blogger offer quite a useful moderation.