Monday, October 24, 2022

Alex and Charlie nailed it!


October has been a fun month with the boys. They were happily surprised to find a large pumpkin in the classroom. They tried coloring it with crayon which didn't work very well. Then they decorated it with markers, which worked very well for my little scribblers.

We took it outside on a sunny day and sat in the driveway using hammers and golf tees to pound into the pumpkin. We extended the activity by hammering words and alphabet letters that they recognize. 


By the time they were finished, they had nailed those words and letters, and they had a fun time doing it.

This week we will remove the golf tees and send the pumpkin home so they can watch the deer and wildlife come eat it.

 

7 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Once again I will say how lucky those boys are! You are such a good great gramma!

Val said...

That definitely looks like fun, as their expressions attest. Now I want to hammer a pumpkin. I know a lot of words. It would look like a colander by the time I was done. Though I probably should not try to do it sitting in the driveway, since I might never get up.

DUTA said...

The boys learn to be creative. That's how it starts - first pumpkin activities; next, high tech initiatives.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, what a wonderful and BIG pumpkin they had to be creative with and use colorful markers. And I think the deer and wildlife would love this pumpkin. One came in my yard this morning, and what a sight it was. I love that first photo of the boys having fun and getting ready to draw. : )

~Sheri

Sioux Roslawski said...

I didn't know deer will eat pumpkin. But I DO know how fortunate those three boys are. You are a patient and creative great-grandma.

Pat Wahler said...

Such fun, and so many memories made. :-)

Eileen in Fla. said...

You have so many creative ideas to teach young children reading skills, eye-hand coordination, etc. With your writing skills, have you thought about compiling your unique ideas into a book/workbook for Moms, teachers, caregivers?? In a million years I could never have thought of so many activities and would have welcomed such a guide when raising my child. Luckily she turned out to be a good student, but I could have made learning so much more fun with a resource like you.