Saturday, May 2, 2009

Writer's Guild meeting today

Just returned from the St. Louis Writer's Guild meeting, where Mike Eisenbath, former Post-Dispatch sports writer, discussed conventional publishing vs. self publishing. He discussed his coffee table book about the St. Louis Cardinals, and also detailed how he self-published a book about depression. He was definitely a motivational and inspirational speaker.

When I first started attending SLWG speaker's series, I'd look at the topic and think, I know about that already. I had little hope of learning something new, but I have always taken something away that I have used at some time in my writing. Today, Mike's snippet of writer's truth was this: get to know someone and find out THEIR story. I try to do that. I find a topic and weave another person's feelings and experiences into my own.

I am grateful for the support I have received from this organization and the many friends I have made.

No comments: