Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Weather or not!

Thanks to all who played my first line game. That was fun.

I'd rather be sweating than freezing.
I'd rather have snow than sleet.
I'd rather be kicking my shoes off than
kicking snow off the boots on my feet.

The news stations are bombarding us with dire predictions of varying amounts of snow 3-24 inches and ice 1/4 - 1 inch. The governor has declared a state of emergency. Schools and businesses are shuttered, and the National Guard has been called in.

The media blitz began yesterday and has been non-stop, "Ice can snap branches, take down trees, electric lines, and this amount of snow can collapse roofs. We are expecting major power outages. Do not call 911 unless it is a true emergency. Be prepared to hunker down in your car if you get stranded, as emergency vehicles may not be able to respond in blizzard conditions."

I thought about preparedness. I used every appliance in the house while we still have electricity. Laundry is finished, dishes are clean. TV is still blaring catastrophic conditions which have not materialized YET in our area. We do have a thin coating of sleet on the driveway. I toasted half of a cinnamon raisin bagel, opened the fridge and found the strawberry cream cheese, I perked a pot of coffee and dunked a handful of mini Oreos, and flipped on the computer. So, this is how it's going to be until all that moisture blends and the winds start blowing and the white apocalypse arrives. Stay warm everybody.

Please let me know what the weather is like where you are. I welcome those sunny, high temp reports. I can live vicariously through y'all down south, far south, not just those of you who live in Arnold.

When I was 20 years old living in rural Alaska, a neighbor (brilliant engineer)
decided to dig a hole under his trailer to insert a heating stove to warm the floor. The temperature plummeted to minus fifty and before he could dig the circumference big enough to fit a stove through, every line in the trailer court froze: diesel heating fuel, propane cooking fuel, water lines. No plumbing and pregnant. The nearest bathroom a quarter mile away at a honky-tonk road house. I hand-washed and wrung my ex's heavy green woolen shirts and pants which froze stiff. We piled under blankets with two dogs for two days until another neighbor swiped a big commercial heating blast furnace from the army, and invited us to stay with him and his pregnant wife. That heater shot out flames like a fire breathing dragon. Those were the days, no money, no sense, no kidding.
That was then; this is now. I am prepared. How about you?

11 comments:

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I'm in Jefferson County...it's been sleeting for hours. I'd rather have snow than this frozen nonsense. And under the sleet? A nice layer of ice. It's going to take a blowtorch to get into my car.

If the power goes out, it's PB&J for dinner. I may cook a pot of something at lunch, so we can have some warm food today.

Susan said...

Hi Linda....Wish I could give you a hot temp report but kiddo, it's wretched here. Ha! The snow is relentless and I just HOPE it doesn't cave a roof in. Brother. Take care and dream of spring. Susan

Sioux Roslawski said...

I love the phrase, "...no money, no sense, no kidding."

I'm knitting today and reading a Jodi Picoult book. That is how I am prepared...

Bookie said...

We have 14 inches so far and still snowing. The National Guard is posted on 44 making people get off at Springfield or Joplin only. I have to say it is beautiufl right now. I got up and wrote like crazy until DH's feet hit the floor...it has been kitchen duty every since. :)

Donna Volkenannt said...

Love your description of life in Alaska.

Up north of you in St. Charles County it's sleet and snow. Our country place in Osage County got hammered today. We're hoping the pipes aren't frozen when we make the trek out there over the weekend.

I made a batch of brownies this afternoon and there will be a pot of chili for supper.

Stay warm,
Donna

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

I'm just cleaning, reading, working and hoping the power stays on. If we lost it, I will be doing the same, minus the computer. :-)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Hey Linda - Foggy and rainy in Atlanta. I always love talking to my son who lives in Sarasota, Florida about ten minutes from the beach. After our big snowstorm here a few weeks ago I talked to him and his big concern was whether he'd have time to go diving and spearfishing. The big brat. LOL

Stay warm and dry!

Linda O'Connell said...

Yikes! Claudia wins for making me shiver more, and Lisa your post has me wiping my brow. Thanks everyone for your comments. This too shall pass.

BECKY said...

Hey Linda, somehow I missed your first line thingy last time. Guess I skimmed over that one a bit too fast! :)
I, too, remember those Army days of "no money, no sense, no kidding"!! Hey, that'd make a good book title! Don't worry, though, it wouldn't work for mine!

Karen Lange said...

Here in north central KY we got rain yesterday, and now have snow flurries. It was up near 50 yesterday and now is hovering near 24. Fun times! Hope all our friends who really got hit by the storm are doing okay.

Charlotte Ann said...

I just found your blog...Winter 1978, Big Piney Wyoming, minus 65 degrees...and that heater that blew flames..isn't that called a "salamander"? Been through the same cold..kids placed beneath mattresses to keep warm.
I live in the south now...waaaaaaaaaaay south!