Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A fishy story

Thirty one days...yes I am counting ... until I will be splashing in the Gulf waters. Can't wait to snorkel, feel the sand between my toes, the salt air on my face. It renews me. One year we went to Mexico with another couple. The guys were more adventurous than we women. While we clung to our snorkel masks and flippers and begged for a sturdy flotation device, the guys were convinced they didn't even need one. The captain told everyone on the snorkel tour to line up to board the small watercraft. The guys got ahead of us somehow, and the captain slammed the gate and zoomed off with our husbands, the last passengers crammed onto the boat, everyone waving good-bye and smiling. My friend and I stood on the dock scared witless waiting for a second boat. Our captain took us to the general vicinity, but not close enough that we could find our guys. We swam a bit with our super-duper life jackets, inhaled salt water, fogged up our masks, got fed up and called it a day. We headed back to the boat, pulled ourselves up and plopped onto a seat to wait for the tour group.

We planned a big fat adventure story to tell the guys. But they beat us to the punch. Obviously something had actually happened to them. They'd had an up close encounter with a school of fish that kept getting closer and closer, circling and circling. The guys swam as fast as they could and the four foot-long fish closed in. My ( sometimes not too) bright husband remembered his pocket was stuffed with fish food from one of those 25 cent machines on shore.

He left a trail of pellets as he and his buddy made their great escape.

Any story my friend and I concocted wouldn't have compared to their whopper of an adventure.
I am one month away from a new tale. I am getting anxious.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome...a trail of fish food? Ha. I hope and pray you have another GRAND adventure!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I think I'd have been leaving my own pellets...lol Great story!

Val said...

So you heard the story straight from the mouth of the one that got away!

Susan Sundwall said...

Hansel and Gretel take to the water. LOL

Anonymous said...

It will be a wonderful vacation! What a great story. Loved the telling of it.

Sioux Roslawski said...

This would make a great travel story for NYMB...

Mary Horner said...

We may not get to the beach this year, so enjoy it enough for me, too!

Susan said...

Hi Linda...I'm excited and happy for you! Can't wait for the details when of your adventures in the Gulf. Susan

DUTA said...

I loved the story of the men being encircled by the "four foot-long fish". Your husband did the very right and bright thing.

Have a safe and enjoyable vacation at the Gulf waters!

Bookie said...

Glad you have something to look forward to! Beach and waves and relaxation...

Pat Wahler said...

Oooh! You're so lucky. Some time at the beach sounds spectacular!

Pat
Critter Alley

Linda O'Connell said...

Thank you all for your comments. I have been so busy with the wedding and end of school activities, I haven't posted as regularly. Promise to do better next week. Thanks for being loyal followers.

Tammy said...

That's my kind of fish story. Thanks for the laugh.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the laugh - and the story! I enjoy following your blog and am looking forward to future stories!
Lisa McManus Lange
www.lisamcmanuslange.blogspot.com

Karen Lange said...

What fun! I'd be excited too! Hope you have a great time. :)

In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend!