Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Treasures


I wrote this years ago, but it applies today. What are YOUR treasures?

BOUND BY TREASURES

I walked in the park today. My children collected a pocketful of treasures... pinecones, feathers, a shiny bottle cap, a razzle-dazzle piece of colored glass, and a sandstone rock.

"A real diamond, Mom; look how it sparkles!"

An old man with a metal detector unearthed his treasures too...a rusty nail, a key, a broken horseshoe and a few loose coins.

A young man sped by in a noisy red car, stereo shaking the trees...proudly displaying his treasures.

My treasures are not as tangible...early morning, summer breeze, my health, my eyes, my ears; a walk in the park, a whisper in the dark, daffodils in the spring. The older I get the more I realize that my treasures are still the same: peace of mind, aiding mankind, knowing that God is near; a child's
smiling face, a quiet place, sitting by the shore.








9 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Lovely post Linda. Like you, as I get older, I realize what my REAL treasures are, and they have to be the health of my family, my own health, the beauty of God's creation which is all around us each and every day. Take care.

Bookie said...

I wish we could sit by that shore and mull things over together. I would bring a basket with a jar of tea, glasses of ice, and cookies!

Claudia Moser said...

Same line of writing for the two of us today, different approach though!

Karen Lange said...

Yes, we have so many treasures, don't we? I am abundantly blessed! Thanks for this wonderful reminder. :)

Janet Smart said...

We all have what we consider treasures, I share the many of yours, too. I treasure my family, my friends and my family's health.

Val said...

My treasures? A wrought iron chair on the south end of my wraparound porch on a rainy summer afternoon. The snort my son makes just before he gives in and laughs at one of my particularly witty observations. The "thank you" from my youngest son for routine services I provide, such as cooking a meal or driving him to Grandma's house.

Jennifer Brown Banks said...

Linda,

Simple pleasures are indeed the best. Thanks for this eloquent reminder.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Very nice sentiment.

Susan said...

I like your treasures, Linda. They sound like mine. Also, I'd add my sweet Honey Cat, sitting in front of my lighted fireplace in the winter, taking a nap outside on the lounger in spring, lilacs on the kitchen table, and the smell of something baking in the oven. Hope your weekend is good. Susan