Sunday, May 27, 2012

Wasn't it only yesterday...?

We went to my cousin's today for a barbeque and to welcome her new granddaughter, Paige Ellen into our clan. Our mom's were sisters and I could feel the connection through my cousins, Donna and Diane, their adult kids, and their little children: the family nose, the expressions, the strong personality traits that we females have in common. We looked at our family genealogy book with photos of our grandparents and great-grandparents.

The ties that bind us together have just looped another little 5 1/2 month girl into our fold. We shared memories and told stories about our grandma. My contribution: while visiting her once, she told the mailman that I was her first grandchild and I was her little pest. I could spell, and she tried forever to convince me that she had spelled PET, but I was a smart little coookie. 

It seems like only yesterday my cousins and I were the little girls in the family; now we are the old ladies. As it should be. If we could bottle some of the kids' energy. It was fun listening to them giggle and play in the wading pool, and it brought back memories of our childhoods.

5 comments:

Bookie said...

Sounds so nice. Glad you have people to share memories...so many of mine are gone. Sad when no one remembers what you remember....

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yes, we were manufactured wrong. If babies were born with little energy (like a menopausal woman's metabolism) and as they grow older, their energy level increases...Wouldn't that be wonderful (for us)?

Gina Gao said...

This is a really nice post. I know exactly what you mean when you see someone you haven't seen in a long time and things start coming back in a flood.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Pat Wahler said...

The best part of family get togethers is sharing connections and memories.

Pat
Critter Alley

Susan said...

That sounded like a great gathering, Linda. So glad you were able to connect with kin. Great gift. Susan