Thursday, March 27, 2014

Drawing to a conclusion

Here is a photo of my first class of preschoolers at Christy United Methodist Preschool, 1976
My assistant Sue Bundren, Miss Linda, Helen Rogers (my mentor)
 
I've been reflecting on time as I want to rush the next few weeks to spring break.

A few more weeks later and the school year will be over.

A week after that a new baby is due.

When the days drag, I remember how fast this month has flown.

Then, I look back and wonder where the years have gone.

I sometimes don't recognize that old gal in my mirror, but once in awhile I get a glimpse of the young woman she used to be. School pictures arrived. I always place my class photo in a school album.

38 years worth of photos, four classes each year: morning and afternoon 3s class and morning and afternoon 4s class, 152 classes in all. WHO IS that young mother, overseer of students, daughter and son? I hope when my days are over, my "kids" will say, "Job well done."

 

12 comments:

Bookie said...

I am sure all kids and parents will say job well done! Endings are bittersweet but memories help! The (school) years go faster and faster I know. But you will love the coming months!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--I know your parents say NOW that you're doing a great job, and all you have to do is look into your kids' eyes and you can be certain they're grateful and lucky to have you.

(And as far as seeing an old gal when you look in the mirror...I know the other WWWPs see someone with a spark in her eyes and lots of spunk in her soul when we see you on critique nights. Pull a prank on Bill--that will get you feeling young again.)

Connie said...

I am quite sure they will say "Job well done." :)

As far as looking ahead, I know how that is. I do that too. When I was young, my Dad used to tell me that I was wishing my life away because I was always looking ahead to what was coming up next.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

There is no doubt they are already saying "well done." Your devotion and dedication radiates outward. Plus, they have the added bonus of all your beautiful written words.

Val said...

I'm sure they will remember you. I hope you didn't wear the exact same shirt in all of your school pictures like that Texas teacher:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/columnists/steve-blow/20130629-a-teacher-retires-and-a-last-echo-of-disco-fashion-fades.ece

River said...

I'm positive your kids will say "Job well done".
I suspect mine might fill out a report card that reads "could have tried harder". Possibly I was a little too laid back and easy going, but they learned independence from doing things themselves....

Susan Sundwall said...

I can sooo relate to this post. Time goes by on a freight train doesn't it? You're young at heart, Linda, if not young in the mirror. I can relate to that, too! LOL

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Linda. I certainly don't like how the time passes so quickly, as you will have seen by my latest post! Srill, you have exciting times to look for with a new baby, and being a great grandma. Wow! How about that?! I have no doubt whatsoever that your students will definitely say "JOB WELL DONE!".

Pat Wahler said...

Love that photo, Linda! It's so much fun to look at pictures from long ago. The years really do fly by in what seems like the blink of an eye.

Pat
Critter Alley

Lynn said...

No doubt they all will say JOB WELL DONE. How could they not? You're so dedicated and so special. I'm sorry about your friend's son.

Tammy said...

I'm sure you've inspired many children and families - and that's not even counting your writing! What a wonderful legacy. Cute picture, too!

BECKY said...

Oh my goodness, Linda! You had SO MUCH hair! It looks thick and naturally curly and beautiful! And you also look a bit like Carol Burnett! (All of which are compliments!!)