Saturday, March 22, 2014

These little piggies

These little piggies went to market. These little piggies had a rough winter, so I took my dear sweet granddaughter to get a pedicure, because that's what grandma's do for their preggos.

As she sat in that spa chair, I reminisced about her baby days when I kissed and counted her piggies. I bought her shoes from birth through high school.

These feet have carried Nana's girl through life so far. I can still see her in her little purple sweat suit on my mother's lawn as she took her first steps.

All of us, no matter where we are in our life's pursuits, have to start with baby steps.

Next, she was off and toddling, giggling, and getting into everything.

Before she was three, she zoomed into my classroom for a visit, sat down and joined us at circle time. When I asked the class, "If babies are little, then mommies are____?" Ashley blurted, "BIG, and Nana's are FAT." Laughter rang out from my coworker and also the teacher next door.

Three years of preschool because of her fall birthday, made me one happy grandma to have her so close all those years.

Then, she was off and strutting into kindergarten and paving the way to so many successes during her school years.

Ahhh, high school! I wonder if she remembers running all day on those tootsies, as we shopped for her prom dress. All day, and then we ended up back at the first store.

She marched right into the heart of a coworker when she was 17, followed her path through college and, then two years ago she marched down the aisle with her sweetheart.

Today they are weeks away from kissing the little piggies of their little boy, Liam. She went for an ultrasound yesterday, and the technician placed the wand on the right side of her belly. The tech said, "Oh look, there are his little piggies. Ooops!" She trailed the wand across her belly to the left side. "Oh no, there go his little piggies!" He curled into a fetal position, flipped over and poked his bottom up to the camera. Let's just say his daddy is proud, but his mama has to go to the hospital for the Cadillac of ultrasound machines so they can get a good look at his spine.


 

16 comments:

Mevely317 said...

What a touching post, Linda! You're so blessed to have your granddaughter nearby and do "girly" things together.

Congratulations on this new, exciting chapter in your lives!

PS - I'm guessing this is the same grand featured in your last post? I laughed out-loud!

Southhamsdarling said...

Isn't it so special to have such a wonderful bond with your granddaughter. Beautifully written post , which I could so relate to.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--Soon you're going to have a new bambino to cuddle.

I am jealous. It's going to be a long while before I get a new baby in the family...

Merlesworld said...

That's sweet it's funny what triggers the old memories.
Merle.............

Bookie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bookie said...

Sounds like swell day for you both. I love the name Liam!

River said...

The antics of the unborn! I used to love watching the feet kicking.

Your grand daughter has lovely straight toes.

Shelly said...

What a blessing it is to now welcome your grandchild's child. A really lovely post~

Debra Mayhew said...

Linda, this almost made me cry! What a lovely thing for you to do for your granddaughter. I'm sure it meant the world to her, especially since if she's anything like I was at the end of pregnancy, she probably can't reach her feet anymore!

Val said...

Those piggies are far more well-traveled than just the market. You are so thoughtful.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Sweet memories, Linda!

Just yesterday, I was waiting to try on some clothes when a young girl came out in a prom dress. She modeled it for her mother and pleaded. "This is the dress." She looked lovely.

I know her Mom will treasure that memory for many years to come. I could see the love and delight in her eyes.

Mary Horner said...

Very sweet and lovely.

Susan said...

Hi Linda. Saw your granddaughter's piggies a few days ago and have just now had a second to make a comment.

You are the sweetest ever of Grammies and I'm sure Ashley adores you as much as you do her.

How sweet of you to give her a pedicure. They are so wonderful!

Thanks for all your faithful visits! Hugs. Susan

Karen Lange said...

How sweet! What a blessing to have such a wonderful relationship with your granddaughter. Though there's no way you are old enough to be a great grandmother! :)

Connie said...

Very sweet post, Linda. I'm sure you are anticipating the birth of Liam. How wonderful to be a great grandmother.

Tammy said...

Only you, Linda, could write such a sweet and clever post...about TOES! Delightful!