Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Peek-a-boo, I see...what?



This is my easy-to-make Halloween-theme, peek-a-boo box. As you can see, it is old.

Make a diarama out of a diaper wipes container, add a few interesting miniatures and a background. Seal it shut. Poke a hole to peek through and also a hole on top to allow light inside. Put it on the nature table (we call it our Wonder Table, because we wonder about all sorts of things on that table). I tape it down with clear packaging tape so the kids have to bend down and peek inside, and it doesn't end up lost, dropped or opened.

This simple little container generates vocabulary, spontaneous language, encourages children to observe and recall: how many pieces of candy, what color, etc. was in the peek-a-boo box. I have a different one each month.

Why not make one and surprise your student, child or grandchild?

8 comments:

jabblog said...

You have so many lovely ideas that I would have pinched in my teaching days. I'll have to bear them in mind when the next grandchildren arrive.

Pearl said...

Too cute! I have none of the above, exactly, but I'm thinking it might be just as enjoyable at my desk!

Pearl

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Linda. What a great idea for Halloween, or any other occasion for that matter. You are obviously very creative! I will make one of these for my grandchildren, and I know that they will love it!

Terri Tiffany said...

This is why I was never a teacher--I am so NOT creative! LOL this is so cute! Congrats Linda on all your recent pub credits!!

Janet, said...

that is neat. It reminds me of a shower game you play when you pass around a tray of items and then try to remember what you saw and see who remembers the most.

Karen Lange said...

Hey this is a great idea! I need to do this with my grandson. Thanks, Linda! :)

Lynn said...

This is really cute. I made some open diaramas with the grandkids and they seemed to really like them. I like this where you have to peek in to get a look.

Tammy said...

What a fun and clever idea. This reminds me of those sugar eggs they used to have at Easter time with a little scene on the inside. Your peek-a-boo box is not old. It's what my mother called "well-loved."