Wednesday, June 3, 2009

E-F-G...exhausted, frazzled and guilt-ridden

Now I know why I had my children when I was young! This morning my daughter-in-law called and asked me to babysit from 7:30-10:00. I brought fresh fruit for the kids. Nicole, 19 months chomped on a piece of cantaloupe and spit it at me, sucked on a strawberry, made a face and drooled it back onto the plate, shook her head no and clamped her pearly whites at the sight of a banana. So I mushed it up and snuck it into her cereal. Her 7 year old brother woke up, sat down at the table and stuffed the sucked-on fruit into his mouth before I could stop him. I figured, family germs, what the heck! Nicholas was ready to walk out the door when he said he wanted a bologna sandwich for lunch instead of school lunch. Guilt-ridden AND late, I said, "Sorry, it's school lunch today." He asked me to walk him into school instead of drop him at the door. I hopped out of the car in the rain, and try as I might, I couldn't figure out the latch on the baby's car seat. I watched my sweet little grandson - who had just told me, "Nana, you're the best, and you only look 21, not
60," - look at me with sad eyes and droopy bottom lip, because I HAD to drop him at the door. Then, as I went to pull out, I saw a sign indicating that I could only make a right turn out of the school parking lot, and I needed to go left! So I swung a U turn and watched the cop watch me! Luckily the 21 year old kid saw a befuddled old granny and let me go. Then, I was half way to school when I realized I'd left the diaper bag in the LOCKED house!(Shame on any of you who are laughing at me) So, I called school and asked if there was an extra diaper. With my butt sticking out in traffic and cars whizzing down Kingshighway, I finally figured out the car seat code and hauled the baby into my classroom. I was exhausted and frazzled and guilt ridden to boot imagining Nicholas trying to choke down sloppy Joes, which he hates. Nicole had the time of her life playing with 5 little girls who doted on her, and well, she just bossed the boys. She took a 4 hour nap. I should have joined her! Now I know why I had my kids when I was 21 & 24.

No comments: