Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Muphy's Law

It was one of those days where whatever could go wrong would go wrong. New student crying in the other classroom, so I ran to the rescue. His mother was in the hall crying, dad coaxing her to leave. I'm trying to comfort the kid and valdiate his feelings. Calmed him down, convinced mom to leave and told her to call in a few minutes. (Kid was fine) Two minutes later a man and woman and little boy walked in to observe my class in action, as my coworker walked out to take her kid to the doctor, so my students were crazy! I had to calm them down before I could even speak to the prospective parents. Tardy student arrived and clung to mom, screaming bloody murder because new people were in the classroom and my aide was gone. Had to pry her hands out of her mom's hair. I walked over to unplug the glue gun and burned my hand. This is all in the course of ten minutes. Finally I just rang the bell and told everyone to sit! including the new parents. The little girl finally let go of her mom who made a mad dash out the door which set her off again. So I had to hold her and present a lesson while pleading with her not to throw up on me. The father of the new student told me the woman with him was not the child's mother but a girlfriend and I was not to release the child to his biological mom. The girlfriend said the mother would never show up,so I shouldn't worry about it. I looked at both of them and said, "Don't be so sure. Just last week it happened to me." The mother of the crying girl came back at 3:00 and said, "I am amazed at how well you handled yourself under all that stress." I smiled like that woman on the Cheerio's commercial. Then the rain came down in buckets and drenched me as I walked to my car. Needless to say, I had an ice cream cone this evening.

No comments: