Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Why patience pays off

It is good to be patient. I submitted a story to New Love Stories Magazine in Feb.'08and forgot about it. Almost two years later I received a reply that my story is under consideration for future publication.

Santa brought us new cell phones and I read this email on the phone while we were at lunch today. You should have seen the people watching me do the victory dance in public. Well, I was somewhat subdued, but honestly couldn't sit in my seat and pumped my arms a few times. This is a high paying venue. Shoot! Even when it's a low or no paying venue, if it means publication, I jump for joy.

I heard from Beth, a long lost writer friend who has vowed to submit two things per month this year. That is a reasonable amount, and a great goal to set. A few years ago at a writer's guild meeting they asked what our writing goals were. At the time I wanted to get twelve things published, six for money, six for publication credits. Once you set your mind to it, you can succeed. Conceive, believe and achieve...let that be your mantra for 2010. Hope you have a safe and fun New Year' Eve.

6 comments:

BECKY said...

Congrats, Linda! Awesome news! And I'd be doing the happy dance in public, too!!

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Linda,
Congratulations! It's fun to do a victory dance, no matter where you are.
Happy New Year!
Donna

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Linda. It's a great pub credit, and they sure do pay well. Remind me when I see you, and I'll show you my copy.

Pat Wahler said...

Wow! Great news, indeed. Congratulations!

Linda O'Connell said...

Thank you. it is wonderful to have supportive writer friends. Write on.

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

Two years! Wow, I would have written them off long ago. It gives one hope...