Saturday, January 19, 2013

His compassion cracked me up

My adult stepdaughter is a special education teacher. It takes a special person, believe me. She is so enthusiastic. Last year as a new grad, she was a paraprofessional or teacher's assistant. This year she has what she's always wanted, her own class of nine or ten students, first grade through upper elementary grades. She's a dedicated, wonderful, caring teacher who always goes the extra step for her students.

She was reading a story to the class. They were seated on the floor, each in his or her own space. Then, with each turn of the page, they inched closer and closer into her space until they were crowding her. I know that feeling and I can't take it either.

I tell my preschool students in a cartoonish silly voice, "You are too close to me, please scoooooooot back."

She told them in her normal voice, "I need you to scoot back." THEY TOOK ONE SCOOT
Still too close, she said, "I am feeling too closed in." ANOTHER SCOOT, but not enough.

Claustrophobia setting in, she wiped her brow and said, "I am feeling sick."

The kids scooted far enough back (who wants to be vomited on?).  One boy got up, presumably to get a tissue from the shelf behind her. He reached around her midsection and gave her the Heimlich Maneuver.

I can't stop laughing. This will be one of those teacher stories that she will share with her future grandchildren.

8 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Oh how precious, Linda! Bless him. Hats off to your stepdaughter, as she and others like her, do such a grand job/

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--Tell her she has to write these stories down. Sometimes we're SURE we will remember each one, but occasionally they got lost, since there is always an overabundance of those funny tales.

That kiddo might be a future EMT or doctor...you never know.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness I was a para for years and my daughter teachers special needs too - I am going to share this with her - she'll love it. Have a good weekend.

Val said...

That's the thing with young kids--they are always eager to help. I had a girl from a large family who offered me her brothers as potential suitors. "It doesn't matter how old you are. I have one every age."

Joanne Noragon said...

Did you tell her how to be a cartoon? I have to believe that will work no matter who is scooching up.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Aww, what a caring child!

Connie said...

Oh my gosh! Ha! That must have come as quite a surprise.

Susan said...

Oh, that was hilarious, Linda. Your stepdaughter must have gotten quite a hoot out of that little fellow. What a sweetie pie, though. He wanted to help his teacher feel better! Way to go. Take care. Susan