Monday, January 7, 2013

How about YOU?

Hop on over to my friend, Tammy's blog. She can really tell it like it is, no matter how improper, especially if she's close to you.

Her post got me to thinking about my epidermis and the epidemic of  wrinkles and changes taking place, not deep inside where my cerebral self resides. I'm talking the surface me. The me who I present to the kid with zits behind the fast food counter, who sees no end in sight for his skin condition; or the teenage girl with peaches and cream complexion who has deluded herself into thinking she will always be this firm and falwless. I grin at both of them knowingly. The smile tugs at my cheek muscles and momentarily makes me look younger, but eventually sets another wrinkle for the day when my facial epidermis refuses to snap back.

Everything is heading south, except me. Things that were always there are nowhere to be found, and things that should not be there have sprouted like eyes on a potato. What's up?

I went to the doctor for a check-up a while back. Geeze, I am overdue, now that I think about it. We are in a new year. Anyway, I showed her a penny-size patch of dry skin and asked her how long I had to live. She laughed and said one thing didn't relate to the other, and what I am harboring is a benign barnacle. A barnacle!? When we reach a certain age, we get these minor skin cling ons. CLING ONS? For goodness sakes.

You know, I wouldn't mind if the reason for my maladies were because I was beached in the sand and soaking in salt water for too long. But as it is I'm in dry dock. That reminds me, I have to go moisturize.

Anything you want to get off your chest, back, or other part of your epidermis? Tag! You're it.

17 comments:

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Tag, you say? How about skin tags? I had some removed years ago, they came back...and I'm getting more, in other locations.

I'm not impressed with their proliferation.

Susan Sundwall said...

When we're young, we grow up. When we're old, we grow "things." But on the inside, man, are we stunning! Takes years to get there. =0)

Connie said...

Getting older isn't for sissies! :)
This post made me smile. "Barnacles"--hahaha! Couldn't they have come up with a better name for it than that!

Bookie said...

I find now that every day is a matter of coping with something. It is like driving an antique car and every time it chugs you wonder if you will be left by the side of the road!

Janet said...

Tags! they are more like globs! I used to wonder what it was like to get old, unfortunately I now know. I feel we are a young person's soul in an old person's body. I don't think a young person could handle being old - they aren't mature enough :o)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The epidermis epidemic is definitely clinging to me. Pun intended! I have a friend who actually shaves her skin tags off!! Yes, it smarts, she says, but is worth it. I can't bring myself to do it.

My main complaint is that itchy, tight feeling in the winter. I keep a bottle of baby oil in the shower. While still wet I rub it in my skin. It seems to help. I suppose I could put the oil in a pump sprayer, but it only takes a couple minutes to rub it in. After I dry, I will still use creams and lotions.

Alice said...

The last time a 'new' brown spot (I prefer that over liver spot) appeared on my face,I tried rubbing it off along with the remants of the chocolate icing I'd devoured. I laughed when I realized it was a'beauty spot. At least it will be easy to hide. Bring on the chocolate!

Val said...

I am here to defend the much-maligned epidermis. It is your body's first line of defense, you know. If you are healthy enough to read this post, thank your epidermis.

BECKY said...

Oooh, skin tags...I hate skin tags! I had some frozen off a few years ago...and yes, more sprouted up in the same general area! Eek! When I mentioned them to my dermatologist sometime after that, he said they are "the crab grass" of skin ailments! :)

Sioux Roslawski said...

Skin tags. I almost get the idea they're bits of fat oozing out, as they try to give me the message to lose weight.

I have one that has its own address. It's pesky, that skin tag.

Tammy said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Linda! Love your barnacle metaphors! Though a lot of my skin things really are due to too much sun. Who knew?

Pat Wahler said...

Saw my dermatologist today. If he said to me one more time, "Oh that. It's hereditary and harmless", I might have screamed.

Some people inherit fortunes. I inherit skin stuff. Ugh.

Pat
Critter Alley

Anonymous said...

Barnacle??! I really think they should call it something else. That's terrible.
I love age, patina, marks of character on things. It even looks good on men. On anything but me, thank you!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Huh. Well, you just saved me a trip to the dermatologist, but now I'm kind of depressed. A barnacle? A cling on? Yikes! LOL Well at least now I know what to call them.

Debora said...

Well, your photo doesn't look barnacley! My daughter and I were editing some photos recently. We learned to touch up faces. She was agonizing over every flaw she found on her 34 year old face when she had blown,th size of the photo up by 200%! I think thats how women see themselves in the mirror...its distorted. I dont think anyone is really beautiful until she knows herself...and that doesnt usually happen til we're in our 50s!

noexcuses said...

I had some tags a few years ago, but they have gone away...in their place are saggy bulges where fat deposits once were. I lost a few pounds this year, and my body refuses to give up the extra skin! It's always something, but you know, and I know and all of your friends out there know...we are fabulous, beautiful and full of life's knowledge..they can't take that away from us!

Lynn said...

So may pop up anymore, I don't pay much attention.