Thursday, January 3, 2013

I don't care for reruns, however...


New Year Musings and Meanderings  (a repost)

I attended a family gathering with my aunts and cousins. One of my cousins had me laughing so hard, my sides still hurt today. She said that years ago she worked at a large corporation. It is so big that they have a bus to shuttle the employees from the parking lot to the door. She walked into the office one morning and everyone was gathered around the television with concerned looks on their faces. She asked, "What's wrong?"

A supervisor replied, "The shuttle blew up."

She shouted, "Oh my God, I just got off of it!"

They all turned simultaneously and looked at her like she was a space cadet. I laugh, because that could have been me. I am forever inserting foot in mouth.

She said, "As soon as I realized they meant the Space Shuttle, I chuckled and said, 'Well there goes any hope I ever had of a promotion.'" Sometimes all you can do is laugh at yourself.

As a new year begins there are some things I ponder. I get annoyed with Reality TV. There are harsh realities across the globe that deserve our attention. I want to shout at the boob tube, "So, you think you can dance? Write? Run for political office? Find the man or woman of your dreams, one who will tolerate your screams? You think you can affiliate with freaks and not have a bit of their stink rub off on you?"

Life can be such a mystery. I know that in order to make it in this world, you must believe in yourself, but some people are totally delusional. I am not implying any of the following are delusional. Just making some observations and expressing my personal opinion.

I have a friend who worked really hard to earn a Masters Degree in Psychology, then, she took a job as a master gardener. I wonder if she coaxes the greens out of the ground with gobbly de gook? “Oh pretty blossom, do you feel like unfolding today? Did that bee sit on your stamen wrong? Poke your pistil too hard?” PUHLEASE! The woman is a shingle away from being a shrink, sitting comfortably on a plush couch. Instead, she’s out there squatting all day, dabbling in the other kind of dirt.

Our adult kids cried poor mouth all year, and then at Christmas our young grandchildren came over with their heads down and their fingers and thumbs flying on electronic hand held devices. I Tunes, I Pad, I Pod, I Touch ... I DON’T KNOW the difference and I don’t CARE. What I do know is that I cannot afford a $250 poke it, scroll it, play it, sing along with it gadget. I can barely text and figure out a cell phone. By the way, whatever happened to hand held transistor radios? Paying to hear music? Mindboggling to me.

Those screaming mimis on reality shows, dance shows, and political talk shows make me crazy. I don’t care which stick thin woman is the next top model or which crazed chef makes the cook cry. I think most politicians are liars, not leaders and most Americans are followers not independent thinkers. I don't give a hoot whose hooting about what Ellen is giving away to guests. I think Judge Judy lets her mouth overrule her rulings, and I think Judge Joe Brown should be in every high school telling it like it is.

Whew! I am out of breath, but here are a few final thoughts on what I really think: My weight has increased, my memory is shot, my publications are fewer and my husband’s still hot. The weather is crazy, the world’s in a mess, Happy New Year to you all, and may you all be blessed.

 

14 comments:

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Smartphone? I have a pay-to-go cellphone - and my year expired a couple of months ago. I still haven't reactivated it. I don't want people to know where I am every second. Do kids need them? I think not.

I hate it when I'm having a face-to-face conversation with someone and they pick up their phone and text someone, or check their email or voicemail. Rude.

Most politicians make me ill. Their unwillingness to serve the folks who elected them is disgusting.

Unknown said...

Stop! Get out of my brain! You said everything I've been wanting to say, but couldn't find the words...except the thing about gardening...I totally get that ;)

Sioux Roslawski said...

I needed to listen to a little rant today.

Thanks, Linda. I too am bamboozled by the technology and the obsession people have with fancy, high cost gadgets.

Anonymous said...

Many, MANY years ago, I had to stop watching Sixty Minutes because I got so worked up about the things that go on in the world, I drove the Beneficent Mr. Hall nuts.

So...maybe you need to step away from the TV, Linda. Or any other electronic device. :-)

And P.S. Happy New Year, anyway. ;-)

Connie said...

I enjoyed this post. I have no use for reality TV shows or for much at all on TV anymore. I rarely watch any regular programs anymore other than the news. When I do take time to watch TV, more often than not, it will be a movie on DVD that I play and watch instead of televised programming.

Happy New Year to you! Wishing you the best in 2013!

Southhamsdarling said...

That was a good post, Linda! I agree with everything you said. I hate all these reality shows and the idiots that appear on them. Everything, and I mean everything, including politics, is just so dumbed down. As for Politicians, don't get me started there! They're all just out for themselves, instead of caring about their country. Oh dear, perhaps it's just us getting older!! By the way, you're very lucky that your husband is still hot!!!!

Susan said...

ha ha ha haha That was a good post, Linda. You got it all out and off your chest. That's cathartic! Hope your new year rocks.

I know what you mean about those I-phone, I-pads, I-pods, whatever. I don't know the difference from one to the other and I don't even care. They fall into the same category as kindles and nooks. ha hahaha (Get with the program, Susie. Nah)

Take care. Susan

Pat Wahler said...

It must have been one of those days, right?

Pat
Critter Alley

Susan Sundwall said...

YOU are a goddess.

Val said...

I'm with you on the electronic gewgaws, but step out from in front of my reality TV! I've gotta have my Amazing Race to see the world, and my Survivor to learn new tricks of manipulation.

Debora said...

Don't know what to say to that...I think you summed things up pretty well...except I cling to the notion that the world is beautiful and magical; in spite of the acts of some crazy people. I look for the magic daily. Happy New Year to you too!

Janet said...

Way to go! I so agree with everything you said. (Well, except maybe for the reruns)They don't make good shows any more, the only TV I watch are the news and reruns!

jabblog said...

And so say all of us . . . well, me, anyway.
I've just been scrolling through some of your earlier posts - I love the 'and' instead of 'but' resolution. Must try that:-)

Merlesworld said...

I do agree with you I Hate reality TV, also the singing and dancing shows but we have abc and sbs that always gives you a choice many non popular shows that are different a lot are not in english but they do subtitles most of the time so you can follow, also a lot of shows about the rest of the world and how other people live thats an eyeopener we have a lot to be thankful for.
Good post you said a lot of true things.
Merle.......