Friday, July 24, 2009

Making Memories

There is something to be said about a 60 year old grandmother who chases her grandsons, ages 7 and 12 through her house, up and down the stairs and into and out of the basement, slamming doors, playing Grimilda. I used to play this chase game with my children and their friends when they were little. Ours was the favorite house on the block. And now I play it with my childrens' children. I pretend I am Grimilda the Witch and I am going to get them and nibble their toes, "Hee-hee-hee, my pretties!" Today, Austin and Nicholas screeched and ran and hid and taunted me, "Can't find me, old witch!" I waited behind doors and at the top of the steps, and I jumped out at them and snuck up on them as they crouched in their hiding places, and I scared the tar out of them! We laughed and squealed and ended up on the floor in a heap, breathless, well-exercised, and happy. I also took them to the Zoo where we fed the stingrays, then we went out to lunch, swimming, and to the batting cages. Ten years from now, which of these things do you think they will remember?

Make some unforgettable memories with someone you love. "Tee-hee-hee, my pretties!"

Check out Women Bloom, an awesome website for women of a certain age. They will be posting one of my essays in the next few days.

No comments: