Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gingerbread Family


That happy faced wooden gingerbread man on the top shelf makes me smile. He is an old guy who watched my kids grow up. He sat on a long shelf that held "teacher mugs". The kids moved out, I gave the mugs away, but I could never part with smiley. I took him to school for learning games every December when we did a unit on the Gingerbread Man. The students placed him in on and under, beside, and in between as they learned positions. They'd laugh like silly when I ended the unit by saying to the last child, "Place him on top ... of ... my head!

I came across the four gingerbread boys at a yard sale. Then I happened into the Dollar General store and found gingerbread GIRLS, and why not? So I bought one for every section of my shelf. The stuffed Mr. & Mrs. were just cute and different, and so I added them to my collection. There's a small shellaced gingerbread house made out of crackers and frosting that a student gave me in 1994 and it is still in great conditon. So this is my gingerbread collection, nothing fancy, but they all struck my fancy, and I just had to have each and every one of them.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Great gingerbread collection, Linda. Just great. Imagine how you found those gingerbread girls! I'm going to have a post soon on gingerbread people around here, too. It's all ready to go but it's been backlogged. Take care, Linda. Susan

Bookie said...

Cute gingerbread folks! A different collection than Santas and snowmen...

Anonymous said...

I went to a major craft show last weekend, over 200 vendors, and the only thing I brought home were Mr & Mrs Gingerbread. I love that they can stay up all winter long.
You have a lovely collection.

Tammy said...

Great idea for a holiday collection! Those are adorable!!!

Linda O'Connell said...

Hi Susan, Claudia and Tammy. Yes, these are fun and an eclectic collection.

Linda O'Connell said...

Hi Dogsmom, Welcome to my blog, please drop by again and ffel free to sign on as a follower.
Linda